When did you last give blood?

97 watchers
May 2021
9:06am, 9 May 2021
12,227 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Feeling fine now, slept for nearly 11 hours last night!
May 2021
10:37am, 9 May 2021
46,899 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's good
May 2021
12:48pm, 9 May 2021
651 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
I’ve just managed to bring my appointment forward! Things starting to get back to normal!
May 2021
1:02pm, 14 May 2021
308 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
As a NHSBT interval study donor, had the six monthly newsletter through. Interesting piece on Haemoglobin testing changes link below

nihr.ac.uk

Previous newsletters available here

intervalstudy.org.uk
May 2021
1:05pm, 14 May 2021
309 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
The interval study group was set up many years ago to look at what was a safe interval for people to donate at, previously it was a best guess. It led to the different interval gaps for blood donation for men and women.
May 2021
2:40pm, 14 May 2021
38,701 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm in next week - hope I don't fail my Hb test! Iron tabs, no running immediately before etc. Water, but no coffee too? :-) G
May 2021
2:44pm, 14 May 2021
38,702 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good link ftrobbie, thnaks.

"The HemoCue test needs just a pinprick of blood from a finger, which is checked by a HemoCue machine to calculate an accurate haemoglobin level. Depending on the results, donors are either deferred or allowed to give blood.

HemoCue’s main disadvantage is that it would have deferred up to about 14% of donors who could have donated, i.e. their haemoglobin levels were actually high enough to donate blood. NHSBT continually recruits new donors to mitigate for the loss of existing ones."

Doesn't mitigate for a disappointed donor who wants his Tunnock's Tea Cake! :-) G
May 2021
8:40pm, 14 May 2021
47,008 posts
  •  
LindsD
I was on the interval but then got banned for a year :)
May 2021
9:24pm, 14 May 2021
1,362 posts
  •  
poppyH
Monday, felt fine all week but today's pool session was a real slog. Have booked next session for September.
May 2021
10:45pm, 14 May 2021
310 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
I thought it was interesting in that the CuSO4 test which has been a staple for years and cheap was found to be ineffective. I remember, providing the sample sank within 30 secs it was ok, more recently unless it sinks immediately you potentially have low haemoglobin levels. Hermocue testing has been on the rise for the last 18 months in my experience.

NHSBT seem to have changed their stance to make donation teams aware of donor welfare. Previously I got the impression that donation teams would do whatever they could to help you donate provided your donation wouldn't harm the recipient. Or perhaps I've got wiser as I have got older

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.