When did you last give blood?

97 watchers
May 2021
3:44pm, 3 May 2021
2,682 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Ooo do you think this morning's run might have been the problem? I'm pretty sure I always run in the morning of my donation because I can't after... But maybe not...
May 2021
3:57pm, 3 May 2021
38,571 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I used to always run before and give myself some rest after, maybe take next day off. But because I had always squeezed the runs in before, and if you are borderline with your diet etc. anyway, then I believe running or intense activity can depress your red blood cell count?
May 2021
7:29pm, 3 May 2021
304 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
Happy/ Em, the advice I was given was not to do any exercise before giving blood. My issues with low iron levels all came as a result of running to the donation centre. I did always walk back though. I don't profess to understand what the mechanisim is!!

Nottingham Donation Centre has cancelled a number of donors at the end of May, not sure why! It was on the centre booking screen when I checked if I could donate before Covid vaccine dose 2.
May 2021
7:49am, 4 May 2021
617 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
I guess we are all different but since I run every day I continue to run before my donation on the day and the day after but it’s what my body is used to!
May 2021
8:17am, 4 May 2021
38,575 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Depends on your physiology and diet I guess. I'm veggie, and I also don't have a very good veggie diet!

First time I failed the test was after an ultra. She said have you done any strenuous exercise recently? And I answered 105 miles in 24 hours. That would do it, she said! :-) G
May 2021
9:20am, 4 May 2021
46,773 posts
  •  
LindsD
I also failed after an 24 hour endurance event.
May 2021
9:40am, 4 May 2021
8,329 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
The only time I needed an extra test for iron levels in the last few years was the time I’d done a long run earlier in the day.
May 2021
9:44am, 4 May 2021
618 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
I have the extra test every time but I’ve been told the drop of blood into the liquid is unreliable and is being phased out! I usually pass the second test!
May 2021
10:58am, 5 May 2021
9,160 posts
  •  
Sigh
I'm off for donation #8 shortly. I had three text message reminders during April, on 1st, 6th & 30th; then the following (paraphrased):

30th: You must wait 7 days after covid vaccine before giving blood
1st: Demand from hospitals is high so please keep your appt if you can
2nd: travel to donate is allowed
3rd: please wear a mask
4th: Please cancel if anyone has any symptoms of etc..
5th: You may be asked to wait outside so please arrive on time, not earlier.

On this basis they seem to want a pint of O+ !

Garmin recovery from Sunday's half is now down from 3.5 days to 6 hours, plenty of sleep, plenty of fluids. Fingers crossed I can actually donate!
May 2021
11:00am, 5 May 2021
14,243 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
My appointment for 20 May has just been cancelled :(

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.