When did/will you peak?

11 watchers
Nov 2016
4:14pm, 9 Nov 2016
421 posts
  •  
Ulric
No I only mentioned the Achilles as I'd read suggestions (I think Noakes maybe) that it was reduced flexibility there that was the biggest age related cause of slowing performance rather than declining aerobic capacity/MHR/stroke volume as I'd previously thought. There has been some research on this area eg

researchgate.net

"Results are novel in showing the rate of decline in running biomechanics on a per-year basis and that mechanical reductions at the ankle but not hip or knee were correlated with age confirming previous observation of biomechanical plasticity with age showing reduced ankle but not hip function in gait.

Reduced elasticity in the Achilles tendon in runners aged 35 to 65 years (39) may also contribute to the attenuation of ankle power and interact with plantarflexor weakness reducing energy storage and return from this tendon (42).

"
Nov 2016
6:05pm, 9 Nov 2016
54 posts
  •  
Brunski
Thanks Ulric very interesting....that seems to fit with those starting later having a few years of improvements despite aging! I guess you only get so much elasticity before it gets a bit 'tired'. A bit like a rubber band?
Nov 2016
6:33pm, 9 Nov 2016
41,518 posts
  •  
swittle
In 18 months, aged 48-49, I set PBs at every recognised distance between 5 miles and Marathon. Went from squash to rugby to running, doing first HM at 33. Still going but a lot s l o w e r....
Nov 2016
6:37pm, 9 Nov 2016
57 posts
  •  
Brunski
Way to go swittle that's cracking setting PBs at 48/49. Did you run more/harder in those years?
Nov 2016
6:39pm, 9 Nov 2016
10,439 posts
  •  
Fenland_Plodder
I probably just confirm V'raps comments, started running over a decade ago, and was 50 in June, but this year have PB'd at 50k and 50 miles plus a course best at the Lakeland 50.
Nov 2016
6:45pm, 9 Nov 2016
41,520 posts
  •  
swittle
Thank you, Brunski. I learnt to run in a more relaxed way and chop up the road work with trails & the occasional fell. My running partner at that time was a year older and she gave me a target when training and racing. We both set Marathon PBs in London in 2002. I was quite chuffed with my time but Jose had come in 12 minutes ahead at 3:15 :-o
Nov 2016
7:26pm, 9 Nov 2016
59 posts
  •  
Brunski
Wow, awesome and inspiring thanks both! Keep 'em coming! It's great hearing these achievements :-)
Nov 2016
7:37pm, 9 Nov 2016
5,920 posts
  •  
The_Saint
When I was 45, annoyingly I know how to get back to the same level but don't seem to want to put in the time badly enough.
Nov 2016
8:02pm, 9 Nov 2016
60 posts
  •  
Brunski
That might change TS, when you're ready you can get back on it, you know what works for you (which is reassuring)...

What sort of mileage was you hitting at 45? It can be hard to build that back up if you have a lapse in training!
Nov 2016
8:13pm, 9 Nov 2016
21,941 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
2007 when I was 43 I set times I'm highly unlikely to beat (partly because I have barely run on the road since). I was waaaay fitter and stronger in 2011 and 2013 mind ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Brunski
An ageing runner starts a thread wondering whether recent improvements in times are likely to continue into his forties, looking for personal stories of people experiences, their 'golden years' where they hit some of their best times. But also willing to hear how age deteriorates times, how his improvements may be short lived and maybe give him an idea of how many years he has to play with....?