Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Wheeeeeeeeeeel

1 watcher
May 2016
7:42pm, 3 May 2016
3809 posts
Kieren
I want to treat myself to a new wheel for the bike with the money cycling saves me from the train fare.

I have no idea what to look for when buying a wheel, any tips or advice would be welcome along with recommended shops etc.

The bike is simple road bike type fuji that can just about fit 700x25c tyres which I much prefer of the 23cs it had.

I commute on it so the wheel should be strong enough to handle potholes.

The current hubs are the kit wheels that came with the bike. They are non-sealed bearings and neglected. I think some sort of fit and forget would suit me.

I don't know what to budget. The bike cost me £450 11 years ago, so I don't know, perhaps half that?
May 2016
9:30pm, 3 May 2016
718 posts
larkim
kickstarter.com 😉
May 2016
9:36pm, 3 May 2016
9756 posts
richmac
Round, definatley best ;-)

Er I'd say a look on Wiggle or planet X grab a set of Shimano RS doo dahs for less than 200 smackers
May 2016
6:27pm, 4 May 2016
3811 posts
Kieren
Them at backscatter does no appeal. 10kg for a front wheel on 700c would probably invite punctures, also double the cost of my bike ;)

Round wheels are defiantly good. I gear Rim width, depth and spoke count are all factors along with spoke count and hub and flange height. Ideally it would be nice to speak with a decent shop
May 2016
7:19pm, 4 May 2016
4081 posts
Winded
It's like a hammer or a screwdriver; different ones are good for lots of different jobs. For a road bike I love my Mavic Ksryium Elites but they are for fun not for potholes and commuting. About 4,000 miles of fat bloke and they are still true but I tend to go around the holes or jump over.
Jun 2016
8:30pm, 14 Jun 2016
3818 posts
Kieren
Thanks. Those wheels look good but over my budget. Interestingly they have a wider rim which seems to be the trend now on newer wheels.

I found a couple of local wheelbuilders since creating this thread, so when I have the budget might reach out to them. One is a shop, the other will let you source your own parts so I will keep my eyes peeled on ebay. My frame is not worth much so no point spending too much
Jul 2016
5:18pm, 27 Jul 2016
3834 posts
Kieren
Bought the following in the end

RIM = H Plus Son Archetype (wider road rim)
Spokes = black sapim
Hub = Dia Compe Grande Compe
16t miche sprocket
Jul 2016
5:22pm, 27 Jul 2016
2461 posts
Cyclops
That's like reading a foreign language, Kieren, but I hope you are very happy with them. May your bike speed you to and from home safely!
Jul 2016
4:37pm, 31 Jul 2016
3835 posts
Kieren
Haha, thanks.

I think the key point is the runs being slightly wider give a better tyre profile (more of a some than a bulb shape). There is not much difference in the widths but cornering seems to be much improved.

Other than that, I can't really notice any difference over the cheap wheels. I lost about 400g in weight so I should be faster on a climb but no stand pr s yet
Jan 2017
8:53pm, 17 Jan 2017
14 posts
Julii
My husband spent £700 on a pair of wheels about 8 yrs ago.

I grumbled, but they took 5 minutes off of his 17 mile commute. Impressed!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I want to treat myself to a new wheel for the bike with the money cycling saves me from the train fa...