WhatsApp privacy changes

3 watchers
Jan 2021
11:49am, 12 Jan 2021
28,496 posts
  •  
macca 53
As a committed technophobe I’ve seen all the hullabaloo about Mr Zuckerberg spying on me and I’d like to find out if other Fetchies are concerned and what they are doing if anything?

Should I be concerned or should I just accept the new terms?
If the answer to that is “no”, why?
Should I try one of the other message services like Signal or Telegram?
Jan 2021
11:52am, 12 Jan 2021
16,214 posts
  •  
jennywren
You can send me a pigeon if you like. I like pigeons :)
Jan 2021
11:53am, 12 Jan 2021
16,215 posts
  •  
jennywren
Oh and ..no idea
Jan 2021
11:54am, 12 Jan 2021
28,497 posts
  •  
macca 53
Coo coo 😀
Jan 2021
11:54am, 12 Jan 2021
78 posts
  •  
anthonyj89
The most important thing is that end-to-end encryption remains sacrosanct.

The moment this is removed or conversations made accessible to governments, corporations and law-enforcement I will move onto another platform.
Jan 2021
12:03pm, 12 Jan 2021
28,498 posts
  •  
macca 53
So I see this in the terms:

WhatsApp currently shares certain categories of information with Facebook Companies. The information we share with the other Facebook Companies includes your account registration information (such as your phone number), transaction data, service-related information, information on how you interact with others (including businesses) when using our Services, mobile device information, your IP address, and may include other information identified in the Privacy Policy section entitled ‘Information We Collect’ or obtained upon notice to you or based on your consent.

I also see that “over the course of 2021” we lose the protection of EU policy on data exchange and the running of UK accounts will migrate from WhatsApp Ireland to WhatsApp Inc.

To me that sounds as if “they” are intent on grabbing as much juicy data and contact information as they can, or am I just being too suspicious?
Jan 2021
12:15pm, 12 Jan 2021
1,418 posts
  •  
Mushroom
Facebook own WhatsApp - so they'll be interested to know who you communicate with on a regular basis. They'll tailor their feeds accordingly.

Have you seen 'A Social Dilemma'? It's a thought provoking account from tech execs & devs of how Facebook et al have changed over the years.

Interesting how these former execs don't allow their children to use social media...
Jan 2021
8:48am, 13 Jan 2021
13,208 posts
  •  
larkim
I fail to get excited about the whole data privacy thing. I probably should care more, but so far on the risks / benefits I get more out than I feel I risk losing.
Jan 2021
8:56am, 13 Jan 2021
4,299 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Like larks, I tend not to bother too much with this sort of stuff. You're being provided with a great service at no upfront cost, these companies have to make money somehow.

For those WhatsApp users who are also Facebook users ( the vast majority ?? ) then does Facebook not already have loads of information on you already ?
Jan 2021
10:39am, 13 Jan 2021
7,962 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Signal

About This Thread

Maintained by macca 53
As a committed technophobe I’ve seen all the hullabaloo about Mr Zuckerberg spying on me and I’d...