Whats the muscle?

1 watcher
Feb 2012
9:17am, 25 Feb 2012
33 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
That allows you to lift your leg bend at the knee and move it outwards?? 'cos I can with my right, but not with my left, which is where I damaged my hamstring - which is not painful now but seems to have lost all range of movement :(

I need stretches and stregthening :(
Feb 2012
4:47pm, 25 Feb 2012
125 posts
  •  
d87heaven
Not sure exactly what you mean from your description. Is it the same as a clamshell exercise? That would be mainly glute min and med. Important muscles in pelvic stability when running, weakness can typicaly lead to leg whip when running.
Feb 2012
5:14pm, 25 Feb 2012
34 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
Not that one, its what you see footballers doing when warming up if that helps! I think it might be called 'opening the gate'. Clamshell one looks good though, I have a very unstable pelvis :)
Feb 2012
9:08am, 26 Feb 2012
126 posts
  •  
d87heaven
I think you may mean transverse abduction of the hip? If you can't do the moving out bit its the glutes, piriformis and obturator muscles. The piriformis muscle is a funny one as it can give the impression of hamstring pain and the sciatic nerve is involved around there as well. Try stretching the above mentioned muscles and the hamstrings and massaging around that area, rolling around the area on a tennis ball imay help. Best bet is go see a sports therapist or a physio who can massage.
Feb 2012
12:00pm, 26 Feb 2012
35 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
have ben seeing a physio who said hamstring - which is undubtably tight but it doesn't seem to be getting to the right muscle.. will look up those you mentioned. Thank you

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
That allows you to lift your leg bend at the knee and move it outwards?? 'cos I can with my right, ...