Whats the easy way to run 30 miles per week?

8 watchers
Feb 2013
9:35pm, 24 Feb 2013
13,028 posts
  •  
Ultra Sparkly Bridget (USB)
I was very tempted to suggest one lot of 30 miles too!

Paul - I am running 4 times most weeks, with a long run of 18, intervals that took up 5 and a couple of other 5+ runs made over 34 last week. Simples :-) But you have to get the long runs in if you are going to feel in any sort of shape in those last miles.
Feb 2013
9:39pm, 24 Feb 2013
50,429 posts
  •  
Gobi
Paul - did it occur to you that you were tired after the long runs because you did so little training ?

A process you seem to have repeated this time and decided rather than train more train less is the answer

I am guessing not as otherwise you would have been doing 30-40 miles a week for a while and would have done more 20 milers not less......
Feb 2013
9:41pm, 24 Feb 2013
1,347 posts
  •  
sLickster
As a low volume runner (circa 20 miles a week) and someone who raced only up to 10k, when I 'won' an entry to VLM I had to work out what would be sensible to enable me to 'get round the marathon in a comfortable manner'. In the end it turned out that 4 days running seemed to allow my body to recover and develop (early int he schedule I tried 5 and also 'sessions', but...

Roughly speaking around this time I was doing:
REST Monday

5-6 miles on a Tuesday (usually with 3-4miles at Half Marathon pace - my only 'session' of the week)

REST Wednesday
8-10 miles on a Thursday (very slow and easy)

REST Friday

16-20 miles on a Saturday (easy, sometimes incorporating parkrun in, and later in the schedule a good 6-8 miles at Marathon pace)
5-6 mile on a Sunday (very easy recovery)

So between 34-42ish miles. I guess most of it was standard, but to me building up the slow miles was the most important, with the Thursday run being the most different to my usual (my weekend long run before marathon training was about 8 miles...)
Feb 2013
9:47pm, 24 Feb 2013
47,254 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
ah well, good luck mate
VLM is a big party anyway
:)
Feb 2013
9:52pm, 24 Feb 2013
1,294 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
thanks everyone, i will let you know how I get on over the next few weeks with the LR's and make that my main focus - at least it's stopped snowing eh?
Feb 2013
9:59pm, 24 Feb 2013
50,430 posts
  •  
Gobi
that is true Hipps it is not like London is a race :¬)
Feb 2013
10:09pm, 24 Feb 2013
47,256 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
LOLGobi
well, I have done a pb there but
Feb 2013
10:20pm, 24 Feb 2013
1,392 posts
  •  
Muds
Probably said before. What are you training for? What are your time constraints? Longer runs build strength and stamina, shorter faster runs develop speed. That's it in a sentence! From here on there are millions of variations.
Feb 2013
10:25pm, 24 Feb 2013
13,030 posts
  •  
Ultra Sparkly Bridget (USB)
He's doing VLM
Feb 2013
12:12am, 25 Feb 2013
505 posts
  •  
Canute
Paul,
I think everyone agrees that the long run is crucial but as you have not been doing long runs, I would again emphasize the importance of building up slowly. It is possible to build up quickly but there is a risk of getting exhausted after a few weeks. Starting from your recent 10 miler, if you increase by 10% per week you can easily get to 18 miles or even more before the end of March. After you get to 18 miles, consider having an easier week and then do either one more longish run or begin the taper depending on how you feel. With the small amount of training behind you at this stage, there is a moderate probability that you will feel quite tired after 5 long runs.

I have run sub-2:35 with the longest training run of 15 miles (though I had been doing over 50 miles per week for several months) and I have run sub 2:30 with only a couple of training runs longer than 15 miles. Jim Peters had run quite a lot faster than I ever did, on an even smaller training volume – typically less than 50 miles a week, which I understand was mostly 5-7 mile runs (but at a fairly demanding hard pace). I would not recommend trying to emulate Peters. We have learned a lot about marathon training since those days. Volume is definitely more important than speed, at least for recreational runners, but be cautious about major increases in volume.

About This Thread

Maintained by Snellers
Running 20 miles per week is fairly straightforward for me at the moment - four or five runs of four...