What was happening on the day you were born?

7 watchers
Oct 2022
8:25am, 14 Oct 2022
73,468 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Adding to what I knew off the top of my head, I read that "British harpist Sheila Bromberg played with the string section for the Sgt. Pepper track "She's Leaving Home", becoming the first female to perform on a Beatles recording."

Harold Wilson was PM and Lyndon B Johnson was President. Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins was also born on the same day.

Around the world the "Declaration on the Croatian Language" was issued by a group of prominent intellectuals in Yugoslavia and marked the beginning of the movement referred to as the "Croatian Spring", a political quest for an autonomous Croatian state within the Yugoslavian federation.
Oct 2022
8:26am, 14 Oct 2022
1,988 posts
  •  
RooA
Kim Jong-un was also born! Deary me. I haven't achieved "supreme dictator" status yet. Now feel like I'm slacking.
Oct 2022
8:52am, 14 Oct 2022
4,225 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
I was born at 1 am under double light saving measures. My Mum was always confused about whether I was a Monday’s child or a Tuesday’s child. Richard Nixon was President and Edward Heath was Prime Minister. Two Little Boys was number 1 (My sisters have the much cooler Bohemian Rhapsody and Maggie May) and Raindrops keep falling on my head was number one in the US. And yes I had a little tinkly wind up music box that played that tune. Didn’t every little girl? I missed the 1960s by just 6 days, and it was the year of the Rooster.
Oct 2022
1:29pm, 14 Oct 2022
6,679 posts
  •  
westmoors
The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican)
The UK Prime Minister was Harold Wilson (Labour)
Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.

Famous people born on this day include Amy Landecker and Stéphane Castaignède.

#1 in US: Sugar, Sugar by The Archies.

#1 in UK: Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Oct 2022
1:45pm, 14 Oct 2022
8,597 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
The US President was Richard Nixon (Republican)
The UK Prime Minister was Edward Heath (Conservative)
Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.

Famous people born on this day include Adrian Murrell and Mehmet Scholl.

#1 in US: I'll Be There by Jackson 5.

#1 in UK: Band of Gold by Freda Payne.
Oct 2022
1:46pm, 14 Oct 2022
1,857 posts
  •  
paulcook
I was born.
Then the pope died.

No link I don't think?
Oct 2022
1:53pm, 14 Oct 2022
4,780 posts
  •  
FreshStart
The Republic of the Marshall Islands was granted self-government within the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands administered by the U.S., with a transition to full independence by 1986.

Greenland (Kalaallit Nunaat) was granted limited autonomy from Denmark, with its own Parliament and the capital, Godthåb being renamed Nuuk. Jonathan Motzfeldt was inaugurated as the first Prime Minister of Greenland and served for almost 12 years. The 31-member Inatsisartut was sworn in as the first Greenlandic parliament.

Malacañang Palace, the presidential residence of the Philippines in Manila, was reopened after two years of remodeling and rebuilding.

American Communist Angela Davis was awarded the Lenin Peace Prize by the Soviet Union.
Oct 2022
2:23pm, 14 Oct 2022
7,057 posts
  •  
bigleggy
I hate to spoil the fun but the IT Security noggin in me has to say, you are giving away your dates of birth here to anyone who can use Google - - That is information you shouldn't be sticking on the Internet.
Oct 2022
3:25pm, 14 Oct 2022
73,484 posts
  •  
Diogenes
That's alright, I think that info is easily attainable by other means by anyone with 5 minutes to spare. And anyway, I not really a middle-aged man from Surrey, I'm a teenage girl from Beverley Hills.
Oct 2022
4:28pm, 14 Oct 2022
2,036 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
My mum was in the hospital, breathing heavily.

About This Thread

The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican),

the UK Prime Minister was Sir Winston Churchill (Conservative),

Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.

Famous people born on this day include Nigel Mansell and Giovanna Stefanel.

In that special week of August people in US were listening to This Ole House by Rosemary Clooney.

In UK Cara Mia by David Whitfield With Mantovani & His Orchestra was in the top 5 hits.

Her Twelve Men, directed by Robert Z. Leonard, was one of t...