What shoe for 26.2?

4 watchers
Jan 2022
8:31pm, 23 Jan 2022
44 posts
  •  
ES-335
Hi - I’m looking for some advice from the marathoners here please.

I ran my first and only marathon in Glycerin 19s which got me through on a mixed surface of riverside trail and tarmac.

The next one will be a road race - and I’m wondering whether a ‘faster’ shoe might be worth considering for race day (and a bit of training).

I’m looking to do sub 4 so not exactly breaking any records that warrant £200 carbon shoes and I still want comfort for the distance.

Looking at maybe Endorphin Speed 2 or Hoka Carbon X2.

Any thoughts/words of wisdom from those in the know?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 2022
10:45pm, 23 Jan 2022
1,199 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
My thoughts exactly, though if I wanted to be a bit cheaper I'd look at Saucony Kinvara or Hoka Clifton as replacements for your choices.
Jan 2022
10:56pm, 23 Jan 2022
56,099 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm also not exactly breaking any records (also aiming for sub-4) but I shelled out for the supershoes soon after they were introduced and absolutely love running in them. At my age and with my lack of talent I might as well have all the legal help I can afford to buy.
Jan 2022
8:56am, 24 Jan 2022
1,955 posts
  •  
auburnette
There are some great deals on supershoes these days so if you can get them at a similar price to other options you're considering tbh I don't see why not :)

Personally I would want a good amount of cushioning in a marathon shoe, but it depends what you prefer, I know a lot of people who don't like the high stack height of supershoes like the Adizero Adios - but it is quite an unforgiving shoe, like the Kinvara it's not really going to cushion much impact. I would see these type of shoes as more traditional lightweight racing flats.
Jan 2022
10:31am, 24 Jan 2022
45 posts
  •  
ES-335
Thanks all. I definitely want decent cushioning hence not looking at all out race shoes. Just wondering really whether there’s an appreciable difference to be gained from one of the supposedly faster shoes.
Jan 2022
3:56pm, 27 Jan 2022
1,234 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
IMO there might be a statistically significant performance difference on the order of a percent or two, but for most of us that signal is lost in the noise. Mostly, it comes down to what feels good to run in.
Jan 2022
4:33pm, 27 Jan 2022
885 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Check out saucony Speed 2. Lovely superish shoe. And pretty cheap.
The first iteration is pretty much the same and probably even cheaper if you find one.
Jan 2022
8:58pm, 27 Jan 2022
46 posts
  •  
ES-335
That’s what I’m trying to weigh up Steve NordRunner - at the pace I’m talking about is it better to just stick with a plush shoe with comfort as the highest priority. I’ve heard/read lots of good things about the Endorphin Speeds Bowman, on the list as a potential.
Jan 2022
6:41am, 28 Jan 2022
597 posts
  •  
Shades
Go to a running shop and try some different shoes on. It's important that they feel right.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ES-335
Hi - I’m looking for some advice from the marathoners here please.

I ran my first and only marathon in Glycerin 19s which got me through on a mixed surface of riverside trail and tarmac.

The next one will be a road race - and I’m wondering whether a ‘faster’ shoe might be worth considering for race day (and a bit of training).

I’m looking to do sub 4 so not exactly breaking any records that warrant £200 carbon shoes and I still want comfort for the distance.

Looking at ma...