What is long? What is slow?

12 watchers
Dec 2012
7:43am, 31 Dec 2012
49,742 posts
  •  
Gobi
Nellers - to be honest NO, one suspects your training was wrong if you blew out at 16-18 miles

You have a descent half PB, 4 months to train and 3.45 is such a soft target for a man of your obvious pace that I am not sure you will get much sense of achievement. If you do it right then you should be looking for a much better run.

I'm not even allowed to train but recently ran a 1.35 half off no miles. If suddenly I had to run a marathon next month(doctors said "of course you can") I would target 3.10 because I know I didn't run flat out, I believe in myself and my good aerobic conditioning even if it hasn't been running.

A life lived in fear and all that.
Dec 2012
7:49am, 31 Dec 2012
1,388 posts
  •  
Curly45
Nellers if it helps at all I'm in a similar position... I jogged a 3:56 (previous pb 4:31) in the summer and was initially aiming for a sub 3:30 tnis time, but as training progresses there is a definite trend to a much tougher target. Its scary, but even if I shoot and miss, I'll get a decent time anyway. You need to push yourself otherwise you'll never know what you can achieve, but have back up targets too in case race day goes all wrong.
Dec 2012
8:29am, 31 Dec 2012
23,626 posts
  •  
Nellers
I know what you mean and it is tempting BUT having blown it last time I'm still thinking 3.45 safely in the bag is a step along the road and on e I've done it I'll be better able to try for the 3.35 or the 3.30 or whatever.

Then again, I have got a while to train and if it all goes well then who knows?
Dec 2012
8:38am, 31 Dec 2012
1,389 posts
  •  
Curly45
Just keep an open mind about targets until 4 weeks out. Hope training goes well!
Dec 2012
10:07am, 31 Dec 2012
10,645 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
I don't run marathons any more, so for me 7 miles is a long run and 9:30 pace is slow.
Dec 2012
2:52pm, 31 Dec 2012
13,345 posts
  •  
DeeGee
All the feedback that I've got, here and elsewhere, is that incorporating marathons into a training plan for a fast marathon is wrong. I've taken that view on board and in the three months before my A-race marathon in October, I've dumped any ideas of running other marathons.

Which leads me to think that it's not, strictly-speaking, mileage that's important, but "time on your feet", and to that end a social jog with the slower members of the club can be as valuable as a run out on my own in the wolds, so long as it's about 3 hours in total, in my case.

Is that along the right lines? And likewise, someone aiming for 4 hours should run for about four hours a few times, same with five hours and so on...

So the difference between my training and that of a 4:30 runner is that, because it's easier to build a three-hour run around family-life, I can run more runs of marathon "duration".
Dec 2012
2:58pm, 31 Dec 2012
9,872 posts
  •  
paul a
There is of course the school of thought that 'long slow runs male long slow runners'. I have always not done the whole LSR thing and more of the LR thing. This is the minority view.
Dec 2012
2:59pm, 31 Dec 2012
9,873 posts
  •  
paul a
Apologies.....make not male.
Dec 2012
3:03pm, 31 Dec 2012
1,391 posts
  •  
Curly45
I do some runs at a faster pace and some with sections of faster pace, but I'm a big believer in not killing yourself in every run. I enjoy running long so have no problems going out for 20 milers week in week out, but for my recovery to be decent for the next week's session, some of the long runs need to be slow.

This week I have XC on Saturday so thoughts of keeping Sunday's long run to even MP + 90s will go out of the window and it will be about getting round and enjoying the views - I pick hillier courses for these sort of runs so I dont put too much pressure on myself to watch the clock!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Having just returned from an LSR with a more experienced runner, and having discussed the nature of ...