what is a average kind of time for my first one

1 watcher
Nov 2012
4:38pm, 6 Nov 2012
6,926 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
I have grafted like f**k on the swim and any improvements have been slow to materialise and not substantial. Altering the stroke takes a full winter and thats where any significant upswing in swim times lies. Ergo I'm hiting the swim HARD at the moment, as I know its a month by month process.

However there's probably also not much to gain on the bike in just 6 weeks off what looks a decent base.

I'd say the best use of time in the last 6 weeks would be some quality brick sessions, race pace work across all 3 disciplines and practise of transitions (although it's an indoor tri so maybe transitions not so important?)

But then I'm gash so feel free to ignore...:-)
Nov 2012
4:45pm, 6 Nov 2012
4,230 posts
  •  
sprouty76
I came here to say what TRO's just said - I reckon bricks & transition practice will be a very useful use of your time.

That said, shaving a minute or 2 off the swim will ensure that you're getting on the bike around the same time as some slightly faster competitors than would otherwise be the case and you may find that that helps you on the bike.
Nov 2012
4:45pm, 6 Nov 2012
5,560 posts
  •  
simbil
Maybe Gobs, it's a bit of a guessing game.

Looks like we are both coloured by are own experiences - I made very good gains in swimming when I focused on it and you made unusually small gains.

2-4 mins in 6 weeks swimming is achievable for many I think as most slower swimmers simply make it hard for themselves through poor body position.

If you could really get him 6 on the bike that would be the way to go. Sounds like a lot to me though.
Nov 2012
5:03pm, 6 Nov 2012
49,087 posts
  •  
Gobi
indeed Simbil

TRO - transition training would help for sure.

Bricks are a bit of a strange one

Personally always preferred to do quality training rather than bricks.

Sprouty - being last out the swim and fast on the bike has certain benefits for a triathlete given the lapse drafting rules :¬)
Nov 2012
5:04pm, 6 Nov 2012
17,855 posts
  •  
hammerite
I do tend to agree with Gobi. It's a lot easier to improve on the bike (and run) than it is in the water. 6 weeks good work on the bike and getting used to running off it (Kevin looks to have a decent 5k PB) should have a good impact.

I've always ran close to my PB if not faster on sprint tri 5ks.

Not sure so much for transition practise, I've never done an indoor tri. I'd imagine the transition from pool to bike would be neutralised as they wouldn't want a load of soaking wet people running about the gym getting all the machines sodden.
Nov 2012
5:07pm, 6 Nov 2012
17,856 posts
  •  
hammerite
I dunno G, you're faster than me, and I found that most people I overtook I went past too easily to draft. That said I did used to get pretty close before starting the overtaking manoeuvre so did benefit a fair amount!
Nov 2012
5:10pm, 6 Nov 2012
23,013 posts
  •  
Nellers
I know nothing about this but I can't help thinking that if I was doing a Tri I'd concentrate on improving my biking. Liek Gobi said, that's the longest part of the event. In my case, though, it's also the discipline I've been least.....well, disciplined in so far.

Having said that if I wasn't swimming regularly and fairly strongly already I'd probably say that you could make huge strides there from a standing, non-regular swimming start.
Nov 2012
5:59pm, 6 Nov 2012
49,089 posts
  •  
Gobi
Paggers - it makes a difference even if only for a few seconds each time
Nov 2012
9:33pm, 6 Nov 2012
17,858 posts
  •  
hammerite
Ah so drafting in the very much legal sense. I've benefitted from that an awful lot.
Nov 2012
12:07pm, 7 Nov 2012
3,118 posts
  •  
holgs
I think you do the swimming last in an indoor tri, which I would imagine changes the game somewhat if your legs are trashed from cycling and running as fast as you can.

About This Thread

Maintained by kevin scott
what is a average time for a 750 swim /20km bike/5km run....doing my first indoor tri at dw in carlisle,,,i did 21 min run..34 min on bike and roughly 20 mins for the swim this morning got 6 more weeks before the event