What does it mean?

1 watcher
Oct 2013
1:43pm, 25 Oct 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
minminmoo
Hi!

Just a quick question, on the training log, when you view it with predicted race times, certain ones are bold and others not. They don't appear to relate to the time. Does anyone know why they are bold when others are not?

I'm sure it is super simple.
Oct 2013
1:47pm, 25 Oct 2013
21,254 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'd say it's how far Fetch thinks the prediction is applicable. e.g. if you ran 3 miles quickly, it probably isn't a good indicator of a half marathon or marathon time. Or if you did a slow 20 mile run, then it probably isn't a good predictor if your fastest 1 mile time. Usually the first few are bold, the it runs out. A longer run usually applies further to the right.

Is that it?

Welcoem to Fetch posting, by the way! :-)G
Oct 2013
1:53pm, 25 Oct 2013
1,109 posts
  •  
monsenb1
welcome to fetch..
ive always presumed that fetch puts your actually training time into his calculator and predicts times for all different distances. the bold times may be more acccurately predict times than those which arent bold, as they compare relatively similar distances. So if you run a 5km time, 10km might be bold but 1/2 marathon and marathon times won't be. Similarly if you run a HM, the full marathon prediction will be bold. All these times are just a bit of fun as they are just predictions on the pace you ran for that specific training run, with time added on to somehow compensate for the inability to maintain that pace for further distances. But I mean if you do an 8mile marathon pace run, it will still calculate the prediction slower for the marathon time as compared to running the whole 26.2 at that pace.
Oct 2013
2:49pm, 25 Oct 2013
7,631 posts
  •  
Dvorak
For distances more than double your run distance, the prediction is greyed-out. So from a half marathon time, all the numbers are black; from the mile I ran, all the numbers are grey.

The numbers themselves are worked out from your Riegel Number, which is calculated using a formula first employed in Star Trek

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-riegel.php

As you run further, the Riegel number tends to be less accurate for most people, as they don't train enough ;-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by minminmoo
Hi!

Just a quick question, on the training log, when you view it with predicted race times, certa...