What do you expect a new marathon to organise before taking entries?

4 watchers
May 2013
3:58pm, 17 May 2013
48,501 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Doesnt stop me LF

:)

Ties LF to thread
May 2013
3:58pm, 17 May 2013
12,105 posts
  •  
*jono*
LF - plenty of time to run a marathon, I didn't run my 1st until 2009 - 45 YOA - so you'll be fine *back to reading*
May 2013
4:01pm, 17 May 2013
25,419 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
You're spot on with that, Leaguefreak. There will come a time when you'll be able to fit in marathon training without squeezing out something else that's more important, and you'll know when that time is :)
May 2013
4:02pm, 17 May 2013
4,658 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
^^^^^^ that.
May 2013
8:11pm, 17 May 2013
911 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Thanks, all - I'm not planning to pay for an entry until I've seen a lot more organisational detail (and my gut feeling is that it's not going to happen) - I'll send them a polite email with the queries from the OP - anything else you'd like me to ask?

Actually, someone made a very good point to raise - why not link up with a club to co-organise? It nearly goes past the Stainland Lions' doorstep, I think, and they've got a long track record of organising races properly. I'll keep you posted with any answers I get.
May 2013
9:33pm, 17 May 2013
12,077 posts
  •  
Tiggia
It is only just in Huddersfield. And not the best side at that :p
Sep 2013
4:34pm, 10 Sep 2013
1,161 posts
  •  
Nelly
Ok, I admit it, I'm bored at work hence why I dug up a thread that is almost four months old...

I've just noticed that the organisers of this have (since the beginning of this thread) added marathons in Wakefield (June) and Halifax (August) to their running race portfolio. I think, if I was them, I'd have stuck with one marathon in their first year, rather than three in four months, but good luck to them.
Sep 2013
4:37pm, 10 Sep 2013
27,099 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Aye, they'll need luck if they get Yorkshirefolk to part with their money and then don't come up with a good product ;)
Sep 2013
4:54pm, 10 Sep 2013
5,012 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
I'm going to be very clear about this. Applying for a UKA licence costs a fraction of hte overall fee and if they can't put that up front then there is a problem.

When we organised the Friends of MicknPhil Half for Fetch we had our permissions, route, first aid cover and insurance all organised. I think we had punted out £50 on applying for the UKA licence, which we could advertise as "applied for" at that stage. I was very nervous about whether we would sell enough numbers to cover the potential costs but if it had all gone horribly wrong we would only have lost £50. The course measurement was organised and scheduled but we knew we would only need minor tweaks of start and finish line.

If they don't have those basics in place and don't have them in hand then don't give them that kind of money.
Sep 2013
4:55pm, 10 Sep 2013
29,191 posts
  •  
Foxy
RF Fozzy (re page 4) - Edinburgh weekend is now the same date as Liverpool Rock n'Roll which looks like it will be very popular.

I would say permission from the council is the key thing, permits as long as issued pre race are usually done at a later date.

taking funds early can be used to gauge interest.

If no one does a first event there never is a second event ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by Dooogs
This came to mind when looking at the website for the potential Huddersfield marathon. They’re tak...