What do you expect a new marathon to organise before taking entries?

4 watchers
May 2013
9:38am, 17 May 2013
464 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Yep. If you ask and you don't get an answer, then I'd give it a swerve. Should give you a good idea of the organisers intentions
May 2013
10:07am, 17 May 2013
910 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Will do - it's less a matter of wanting to save £35 (although there is that) - and more about wanting a Huddersfield marathon to be good. If there's a shambolic race attempted (or cancelled at the last minute), it'll reduce the chances of a decent one being set up in the future...
May 2013
10:25am, 17 May 2013
25,401 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I agree. There are lots and lots of good marathons out there and there's no excuse for a badly-organised, thrown-together one. And I'd quite fancy taking part in a marathon in that area so I want it to be good too :)
May 2013
10:26am, 17 May 2013
408 posts
  •  
Spleen
I'm organising a marathon too. UKA licence pending. Road closures, maybe. Route: eh, I don't care, run 13.1 miles and when you've done that turn around and run in the opposite direction, and when you get back we may give you a medal or a Crunchie bar or something (dependant on sponsors, tba).

There will be water stations at regular intervals, unless it hasn't rained the night before, in which case there won't be any puddles and you're on your own.

Entry will be £60 per person. Buy now to avoid disappointment!
May 2013
10:32am, 17 May 2013
409 posts
  •  
Spleen
By the way, check out the sponsors http://www.vizilo.org.uk/. They basically sell lumps of firewood as 'exclusive' 'hand cut' 'environmentally friendy' door stops. For up to £45 each. I'm pretty sure it's run by Harry Enfield's "I Saw You Coming" character's northern cousin.
May 2013
10:32am, 17 May 2013
1,819 posts
  •  
Curly45
there have been quite a few shambolic first marathons in the last few years like Hull so now I give all events a miss untill they've have a few years to iron out any teething problems.
May 2013
10:52am, 17 May 2013
12,069 posts
  •  
Tiggia
Dooogs, I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought it was just me being a cynical bugger.

The who we are link takes you to the Organic Adventure website. I cannot take anyone seriously who stretches an image like that on their website ;)

I
May 2013
10:57am, 17 May 2013
14,289 posts
  •  
DeeGee
To be fair, Curly, Hull wasn't utterly shambolic. As far as I'm concerned it only lacked 2 very small things, mile markers, and about 500 yards.

I'm interested as I want to organise a low-key 50 people up and down Cleethorpes Prom event in November on the tightest of tight budgets. The permit's going to cost £75. I don't want to pony for the permit unless I know I'll get entries. People won't enter unless there's a permit. Catch 22.
May 2013
10:57am, 17 May 2013
4,224 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
toilets
May 2013
11:00am, 17 May 2013
14,290 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Although having read the OP, I won't be entering that race. Hull had no permit or route when it opened for entries - kept emailing entrants about the progress of the various discussions.

In fact, in hindsight, they were very cagy about the route until not long before the event. And it was the route that let it down.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dooogs
This came to mind when looking at the website for the potential Huddersfield marathon. They’re tak...