What do/would you miss about your job?

20 watchers
Sep 2017
4:41pm, 22 Sep 2017
13,559 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Must be three months now and the only thing I miss are the people I worked with. Some are real diamonds. The work itself not a thing. On reflection it was tedious
XB
Sep 2017
4:42pm, 22 Sep 2017
5,906 posts
  •  
XB
Not missing much now. I did miss the banter and the structure. But I don't miss the commute (even though it was relatively easy), the politics, the arseholes, only 20 days holiday, and the town I was working in (Colne).
Sep 2017
4:47pm, 22 Sep 2017
36,864 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
ChrisHB's experience sounds very similar to mine, but I'm still at work.

I miss the job I was doing 20 years ago, even though in theory it's the same job.
Sep 2017
4:55pm, 22 Sep 2017
21,787 posts
  •  
Dave A
Mine was very different to the job I joined just over 12 years ago.

I ended up missing being a police officer. Although I value the jobs of social worker, doctor, mental health professional, parent and relationship councillor, I didn't want to be any of the above.

Luckily I'm in a position to have a break, take stock, then decide what to do. I enjoyed the job, mainly. The hours knackered me. Not long hours as I got to a stage where I could manage my work within the boundaries of my shifts, but the nights mainly. Horrible shifts.

What if actually line to do instead of it is a real headache though.
Sep 2017
1:16am, 23 Sep 2017
8,030 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
my lovely colleagues....

Been here for 18.5yrs, its only the last 12 months that I have been part of a team on the same site in this current role.

There is a possible new opportunity over the horizon (waiting to hear more) and it sounds exciting, I guess other than colleagues I'll miss the comfort blanket I have where I am, knowledge that I'd have to be bloody stupid to get sacked, final salary pension (although I don't really understand why that is so good) and the slightly earlier finish time on a friday, oh and going from a 4 to 12 mile commute.
Oct 2017
8:26pm, 5 Oct 2017
6,990 posts
  •  
Valyrian Plastic
This might be cheating a little (since it's a work placement) but I'll definitely miss everybody at the home - staff and residents alike.

I'll miss all the surprises as well. The new experiences, the special guests (not all of them human) and the feeling of being appreciated for everything I do.
Nov 2017
8:14am, 13 Nov 2017
21,837 posts
  •  
Dave A
I’m still not missing it. The job doesn’t get a second thought. I’m still in touch with colleagues who I want to speak to outside of work 😀

Coinciding with this, probably with regular running (3-4 times per week for fitness rather than training for anything) I’ve lost 1/2 a stone without trying and I’m sleeping less but sleeping better.

If I do go back I’ll be doing my best to avoid nightshifts to start with.
Nov 2017
1:31pm, 13 Nov 2017
29,858 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Good idea Dave. I'd get out of them if I could.
Nov 2017
1:51pm, 13 Nov 2017
37,140 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Excellent news, Dave :)

I do find myself thinking of things/people I'll miss, but I suspect that's a load of false loyalty and Stockholm syndrome. One of the hardest things is knowing that it's unusual for GPs to retire as early as I plan to, even when they've got far more in their pension pot (I relinquished a chunk of mine on divorce) and wondering whether they all know something I don't.
Nov 2017
5:35pm, 13 Nov 2017
21,839 posts
  •  
Dave A
But money isn’t the be all and end all. It’s nice when it’s there but sometimes what we put ourselves through to get it isn’t pleasant.

There are always ways and means out there to provide a comfortable and stress free income.

About This Thread

Maintained by Valyrian Plastic
Other than getting paid, obvs!