What are the UK's top areas for running and cycling? - on BBC

1 watcher
Mar 2016
1:41pm, 8 Mar 2016
321 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
IMHO - I think the running routes reveal more than the cycling routes. Cycling is going to be limited to cycle paths, safer roads etc. Running is going to be far less restricted in a number of ways, so might reveal more variation from established links? Discuss.
Mar 2016
5:01pm, 8 Mar 2016
3,235 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
Seems likely. I mostly run a different route each time I go out; parkrun is the only route I run repeatedly. A lot of cyclists will be commuting the same route twice per day.
Mar 2016
8:52pm, 8 Mar 2016
1,673 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
It's interesting, but as it is restricted to strava users it's questionable whether it says much about running and particularly cycling overall. West Yorkshire often comes out quite low for the modal share of journeys by bike from more formal analysis, but this suggests that it has a relatively high number of cycle journeys.

The problem may be that the type of rider who uses strava is more likely to correspond to those who are strong enough and confident enough to tussle with heavy traffic. It wouldn't reflect cycling by non-Strava users. Though I suppose a comparison of strava journeys and more general surveys could provide a measure of how crap an area's cycling infrastructure is!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by tonyp2604
spotted this :
bbc.co.uk