What are the flattest / fastest marathon and half marathon courses

8 watchers
Oct 2014
9:24am, 24 Oct 2014
2,025 posts
  •  
Nelly
Thanks, pedro, but I was after HM recommendations. I recommended GMM to Jacdaw and started the GMM 2015 thread, so well aware of the race :-) Also thanks, Storey, but I'd guess the airfare makes it a little cost-prohibitive for most ;-)

DG - you're right you don't have vagaries of weather in Scunthorpe, you've always got the smog from the Steel works! In all seriousness, two weeks after GMM may be a little too soon, or may be perfect.
Oct 2014
9:27am, 24 Oct 2014
16,173 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I ran it two weeks after London and got a 5 min PB. Probably the one and only time I'll ever break 90 mins.
Oct 2014
9:28am, 24 Oct 2014
16,174 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Not London, Brighton. Easy mistake to make.
Dec 2018
7:24pm, 9 Dec 2018
16,983 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Between HM/mara, Berlin 25K. Net downhill, which in s city as flat as Berlin, is quite something (starts Olympia parade, slightly raised; finishes inside Olympiastadion, sunk into a bowl).
Dec 2018
11:27pm, 9 Dec 2018
59 posts
  •  
T Rex
Not in central or northern England, or even in England, but Cardiff half (Oct) is pretty flat and for a full marathon you are not going to find one much flatter than Newport (May).

Abingdon marathon (Oct) is well known as a PB course but it does have a couple of rises and some twisty sections.
Dec 2018
10:28am, 10 Dec 2018
8,526 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I'm running the Fleet Half Marathon on 17 March 2019. Anyone able to tell me if it's a fast & flat course or not ?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
OK, so if I screw up Edinburgh next year and fail to do 3:30 (again), where am I most likely to mana...

The Doctor K Cup

This year sees the fifth edition of our annual challenge in memory of the Fetchies who have sadly passed away. It's named after Doctor K, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2017

Are you doing the right training?

See typical mileage, pace and long run stats for every distance and goal. See a comparison with your own training.

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,105 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here