What, and when, to eat before evening race?

5 watchers
J2R
Jun 2019
7:49am, 6 Jun 2019
2,076 posts
  •  
J2R
larkim, you're no doubt right about the fact that theoretically we shouldn't actually need anything for a 10K race, as we would normally have enough glycogen stored in our muscles to keep us going for 90 minutes or so. But even so, I have on numerous occasions felt a little hypoglycemic when out for training runs, as if I haven't quite got my nutrition right (by which I mean feeling flat and without energy, and being helped by something like a bar of chocolate). And I don't have a bad diet - lots of wholefoods and stuff with a low glycemic index which should theoretically minimise the ups and downs in blood sugar.

Anyway, I can report a success! I had a small plate of pasta at about 17:15 and ran a very satisfactory 10K at 19:30. I ran a brisk but nonetheless conservative pace which I held on to without difficulty for the duration. It was very much a 'B' race, where I wasn't running flat out and didn't want to knacker myself too much but still wanted a decent time. Who knows whether the food helped, but I don't feel it hindered, anwyay.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by J2R
In the late spring and summer there tend to be quite a few evening races round here, starting at 19:...