WFH Advice

22 watchers
Mar 2020
8:21pm, 25 Mar 2020
2,185 posts
  •  
Pothunter
5 doesn’t apply to me. Far more snack temptation at home ...
Mar 2020
8:34pm, 25 Mar 2020
44,135 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Ditto - WFH just puts me into closer proximity to snacks most of the time!
Mar 2020
8:36pm, 25 Mar 2020
3,302 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
11 - the commute is amazing.
Mar 2020
10:18pm, 25 Mar 2020
20,783 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
12. That boring colleague who witters on about nothing and moans about everything all day is out of earshot.
Mar 2020
10:20pm, 25 Mar 2020
17,212 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
13. Proximity of the fridge..... ;)
Mar 2020
11:17pm, 25 Mar 2020
4,509 posts
  •  
quimby
14. I cannot hear the man with the incredibly annoying laugh.
15. Still no bra. I think it requires a second entry. The baps run free!
Mar 2020
11:26pm, 25 Mar 2020
382 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
My role is officially WFH but I miss going into the office and seeing people. We've been having a 10:30 coffee break on Skype, where anyone who fancies it logs in with a cuppa and we talk crap... I've spoken to members of the team I don't work directly with and that's been really nice 😊

Today I was grateful for the lock down, if I'd have been in the office with some of my colleagues, I may have got the sack for throwing things! Frustrating!
Mar 2020
11:36pm, 25 Mar 2020
4,510 posts
  •  
quimby
We have a team Skype chat open which we can drop into if we want. We have been mostly moaning about the demise of the work café - they deliver meals to your desk. I am *hoping* the staff that work there are still being paid - they obviously can't WFH.

Had a stressful meeting today where we discussed going ahead with a big thing whilst still WFH - risk massively increased due to dependency on VPN working and, I think a greater risk, everyone's home ISP connection. Most people have a general personal ISP connection, not business quality. Not subject to business support standards if there are issues. I do have 2 backup routes - a mifi dongle and my phone tethering.
Mar 2020
3:59am, 26 Mar 2020
536 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
Not sure if this is quite the right place for it, but anyway... My OH has worked from home for the last 15+ years. Here are some tips we put together for me to email to my team. Hopefully they are useful not patronising!

- take some time to set up your new home office (desk height, chair height, screen glare, etc).
- be aware that your home office is likely to be less ergonomic than your work one, and take regular screen breaks (use one of those apps if it helps you), and adjust your set up as needed
- remember that you'll need to make a little more effort to communicate with people - you aren't going to just bump in to people you work with when you get a coffee...
- make it clear to others in your house when you are "at work" and when you are "at home" so you don't disturb and annoy each other
- find what works for you - it may be having the same routine as when you are in the office, it may be starting work earlier as you have no commute
- get some fresh air and day light every day - this could be a walk round the block, or it could even be within your garden (if your garden is anything like ours, there is always some weeding to do!).
Mar 2020
8:39am, 26 Mar 2020
20,784 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
16. My cash for spending budget is going to last forever without those little purchases to/from/at work, the rip off coffees, extra lunch items etc.

17. As above, but with the petrol budget.

18. All clothes worn don’t need ironing. Goodbye ironing pile.

19. Lunch break could consist of a quick kip. Sadly, all the extra lie ins with no 5:30am morning swimming means this is not as useful as it could have been....

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
I've noticed that the base of the back of my neck is sometime hurting.
Is this chair too high/...