Wet Jogging Feet. Spare socks or.....?

2 watchers
Jan 2017
12:10pm, 30 Jan 2017
6 posts
  •  
/skn
Another noob question, I'm sorry!

I've been jogging on a friend's farm and the fields with crops are mostly too muddy/sticky at the moment (hoping it'll be nice in the spring/summer as lovely and flat). I've been out on ankle-length cattle crazed grass (over flint) along the side of a valley (the herds in barns this time of year). This is causing me to start walking round in circles when I'm home as I'm sure one leg is getting longer than the other from running on a camber.

Anyway, the grass has been wet or frozen on most days of my short adventure, sometimes a bit moist, but today was sopping wet. I've yet to jog in the rain, but today I was out in what it left behind. I've had noticeably wet shoes before, but this is the first time I've had a real squelch inside my footwear.

I'm jogging in Asics Venture 5 trail shoes that I am really pleased with. Is it just a case of getting back and putting on a fresh pair of socks or am I missing a trick? I can't imagine the pro-runners would want squelchy feet for mile after mile - for me it's no major trouble as short distances and times until my body catches up.
Jan 2017
12:28pm, 30 Jan 2017
1,657 posts
  •  
larkim
I had some goretex trail shoes which kept my feet reasonably dry - until I realised that the great big hole in the top when your feet go in really makes the goretex less than useful if the water is splashing on your legs above the sock line.

Having done a long trail run this weekend I soon realised that a nice warm, wet layer of water inside the shoe wasn't a disaster (a bit like wearing a wet suit where the idea is that the water close to your skin is trapped and kept warm) and I'd get dry socks at the end.

I think wet feet is just something to put up with running through grass at this time of year, but others with more experience may advise otherwise.
Jan 2017
12:33pm, 30 Jan 2017
29,249 posts
  •  
Hendo
The problem with GTX shoes is that any water that gets in has no way of getting out, which makes things far from ideal.

Best to just crack on and keep running, things will un-squelch soon enough. For trail running, decent (usually wool-based) socks will help too. If it's raining, then so be it, wet feet for your run, it's no biggie.
Jan 2017
12:34pm, 30 Jan 2017
1,594 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Waterproof socks if it bothers you, that way you can wear your shoes of choice. Not that expensive these days, and probably the most effective option.

(Note - I don't wear shoes, or socks and find bare feet shed water best. So that advice is dated back a few years to when I did used to :-P )
Jan 2017
12:44pm, 30 Jan 2017
35,414 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Mid-length SealSkinz socks (or some folk swear by Drymax) could make a big difference. You'll still get wet trainers, but your feet should stay dry provided water doesn't get in over the top.

Provided you're just doing your run and then getting changed, though, it's OK to let your feet get wet. And yes, even recreational off-road runners do run for hours with wet feet, often having them partly dry out and then get soaked again.
Jan 2017
12:49pm, 30 Jan 2017
2,038 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Make sure you don't wear cotton socks, a nice pair of merino wool ones and the heat that you are generating whilst running should warm up any dampness after the initial cold feeling.

If that is still too uncomfortable, then you could try Sealskinz waterproof socks. They are quite expensive, but some think it's worth it. I only use these if going to be running through icy cold wetness, eg snow melt and slush.

A cheapo alternative to waterproof socks is to put normal socks on, then put a plastic bag over your each foot before putting your shoes on. This depends on you having enough volume in your shoes for the extra, plus finding bags that are just bigger than your feet ( large freezer bags are nice and strong ). Plus of course it looks a bit silly with the top of the bag sticking out above your shoes - but if you're running on a farm where there's no-one to see you then maybe that's not a concern ;-)
Jan 2017
1:18pm, 30 Jan 2017
12,712 posts
  •  
mulbs
only thing I'd say in addition to all of the above is watchout for anything rubbing when your feet/socks get wet and sort it out straight away. I went out for a 15-miler in the wet the other weekend and had to stop at a shop halfway round to buy plasters and sort my socks out, socks that had never blistered me before obviously behaved differently when they were wet . . .
drj
Jan 2017
2:14pm, 30 Jan 2017
18 posts
  •  
drj
Too much detail but quiet day at work. Looks like the ASICS Venture Trail version are a road shoe with a bit of Trail grip - so probably aren't designed to shed water as well as "proper" trail or off road shoes. Hence perhaps holding the water and the squelch factor. Personally i go for Trail shoes that let the water out quickly rather than waterproof ones - as someone said there tends to be a big hole in top to let the ankle escape that always lets water in. You may think about getting a cheap more trail specific pair - some off road lugs and a lower profile - to increase the fun factor... then head for the muddy bits rather than avoid them. Agree re need for good, non cotton socks. "Trail running socks" can be a bit warmer.
Jan 2017
2:30pm, 30 Jan 2017
14,462 posts
  •  
jennywren
There you go mate, lots of good advice! OH swears by sealskinz but I just put up with wet feet personally. Woolly socks are the best imo
Jan 2017
2:58pm, 30 Jan 2017
8,175 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Good advice above :) - and don't apologise for asking questions.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by /skn
Another noob question, I'm sorry!

I've been jogging on a friend's farm and the fields with cr...