West Highland Way Race 2014

37 watchers
Jun 2014
4:07pm, 23 Jun 2014
4,599 posts
  •  
Duchess
Bloody hell, that was one astounding race!
Jun 2014
4:11pm, 23 Jun 2014
5,987 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Certainly was! Just home :-) :-)

Will blog soon but in summary: loved the race, love my awesome crew, thanks to all: RD, marshalls, everyone who took part, running or crewing.
Jun 2014
11:32pm, 23 Jun 2014
9 posts
  •  
waister
followed a great race on line (was away at a wedding ). Did that silly challenge run take place in the end ?
Jun 2014
12:36am, 24 Jun 2014
70,506 posts
  •  
santababy
What a weekend. Inspiring doesn't quite cover it. Paul Giblin had me in tears at least 3 times, I actually have no words to describe it.

2 hrs sleep in 48 hours, I think I'll go back to running it next year thanks.
Jun 2014
8:52am, 24 Jun 2014
22,378 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
santa, you, whwrunner and all the hundreds of marshals, medics, mountain rescue and all the other helpers were awesome. What a fantastic job to put on a world-class sporting event. You should be incredibly proud of yourselves.

Hope you are starting to recover from the sleep deprivation. Rest up, you deserve it! :-) G
Jun 2014
8:54am, 24 Jun 2014
22,379 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The "challenge" was barely noticeable waister. Apparently there were 6 of them. Midnight passed without anyone noticing, I think. We saw one challenge race crew at Victoria Bridge and one group of 2 of them running together at Beinglas Farm. That was it. It was a non-event. Fortunately.
Jun 2014
9:23am, 24 Jun 2014
5,988 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I passed a couple of guys sitting near a car with the boot open and with a table of stuff and they said well done, around Victoria bridge I think. shanksi said later he thought it was maybe a checkpoint for the challenge. We saw another somewhere else and they were friendly again. I don't think I saw any of the runners
Jun 2014
12:02pm, 24 Jun 2014
22,381 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That was the one V - I though they were support crew for a runner. They were the official checkpoint. Bit pathetic compared to the huge WHW set up. To be expected though. And yes, there was no animosity from the brief encounters we had. :-) G
Jun 2014
2:55pm, 24 Jun 2014
5,876 posts
  •  
flip
Just back home after a stopover at Anna's where she treated me to pub dinner and beer. Day off and mostly slept.

What weekend, going to take time to mull over and remember most of what happened as it all seems a bit of a blur right now.

Got asked to check some church timbers late on Thursday and its the sort of job i can't turn down so had to get up early Friday and work. Tried to sleep late in the afternoon but a neighbour two doors down got some paving slabs delivered so it didn't happen so got up and drove to Scotland.
Heck that really hit me after Kinlochleven. i was moving as fast as i could for fear of falling asleep at the wheel so to speak. Managed to kick every single rock on the Lundarva road (I assume through tiredness) hurting my big toe and could barely walk down hill , which given its a steep 3 mile down hill finish wasn't good. Limped in and had lovely Santababe feed me tea and toast while i waited for my stuff (another long story). Can't let that sleep thing ever happen again! I got the job though & of course the Goblet

Lots more when i remember it all but a big thank you to Santa, whw runner and all those involved. WHW is a superb race. I never want anything about it to change ; except the midges maybe , they took an extra interest in me this year , oh and my finishing times :-)
Jun 2014
2:58pm, 24 Jun 2014
70,507 posts
  •  
santababy
Wish you'd called me,I'd have came to lundavra and guided you home. Glad I was there to collect your chip though, for second yr in row! 😄 same time same place next year? X

About This Thread

Maintained by santababy
who's in?

Time for teamsantababy to kick ass again :)