Went Over My Ankle

2 watchers
Nov 2012
8:20pm, 23 Nov 2012
20 posts
  •  
Running Duck
I have a badly sprained ankle (according to the dr) and apparently need to be careful as if I tear it too much it could break a small bone.

I have horses so can't rest it. I got it strapped by the nurse and am walking, looking after the horses and riding them. The main problem is actually getting through the mud in the fields as they are flooded at the moment!
Nov 2012
9:40pm, 23 Nov 2012
501 posts
  •  
Jubear
I've done a few ankles in my time. It's worth taking seriously in the early stages, a well-wrecked ankle is for life :-(

On the other hand if the doc/nurse didn't think it needed immobilising, some light moving might not do any harm.
Nov 2012
9:42pm, 23 Nov 2012
502 posts
  •  
Jubear
And what oldgrunter said: wobble boards are excellent ankle rehab tools
Dec 2012
1:32pm, 4 Dec 2012
215 posts
  •  
Silkman
Went over on mine in mid Oct whilst out on a run. Blew up like a ballon pretty much straight away. Thought it was just a sprain as I've had before but went to A&E 24 hrs later as didn't like the look of it and turned out it was broken, albeit on minor one in terms of breaks. Definately worth getting it checked out.
Dec 2012
2:01pm, 5 Dec 2012
335 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
Ankle is feeling quite a bit better, but still a little sore and very stiff. I should probably be doing something now to try to ease it off. Rotating and stretching it a little while sat at my desk, but scared I hurt it again. Can someone reassure me or advise? Want back to running.
Dec 2012
3:03pm, 5 Dec 2012
6,043 posts
  •  
Dvorak
It takes time. Give it time. Can you walk on it ok? Start off with a short walk/ jog eg about a minute each: if it gets worse, give it some more time. If if feels ok, gradually lengthen the running parts. Remember that your propriocetion (how the ankle/foot position feels, especially on uneven ground) may be off for months, even when the ankle is better.
Dec 2012
3:38pm, 5 Dec 2012
340 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
I can walk fine on it. It gets a bit tired/sore by end of the day. It does feel wrong when I am walking about on even the slightest uneven ground though.
Dec 2012
8:20pm, 16 Dec 2012
2,189 posts
  •  
Garfield
Wear a not too tight tubigrip to give it a little added stability. Don't do too much on it to start off with...as things need to heal and get stronger again or you run the risk of doing it over again. Also, once you had done it once, it leaves you prone to having it again in the future if you don't make an effort to strengthen it. Both my ankles have suffered terribly in the past and not so distant past.
Dec 2012
12:29pm, 18 Dec 2012
141 posts
  •  
Plodder54
Went over on mine 12 days ago, ballooned up straight away, treated with the RICE method also applied arnica gel to fetch the swelling out. Kept it mobile by doing short walks most days as there was no pain when I was stood on it. Had my first run on it last night a short steady couple of miles felt ok but did notice later on last night it look puffed up again but feels ok today . Dont know wether to run again today or leave it till tomorrow. Any advice would be helpfull.
Dec 2012
8:07pm, 18 Dec 2012
9 posts
  •  
oldgrunter
Not trying to be a smartarse, but you have to ask yourself why it's puffed up again? There's surely still an injury there & I'd plump for another week or so keeping mobile but not running. Continuing to antagonise it will only lengthen recovery time.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
Ankle is up like a balloon Went over it on a run last night.

How long will I be out of action? Sh...