Went Over My Ankle

2 watchers
Nov 2012
11:11am, 22 Nov 2012
263 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
Ankle is up like a balloon Went over it on a run last night.

How long will I be out of action? Should I get a bandage or something from the chemist? Been taking Ibuprofen (200mg last night and this morning).
Nov 2012
11:16am, 22 Nov 2012
2,448 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Ice it. Not sure on the bandage part but ice helps me with any swelling (oo-er :-O )
Nov 2012
11:17am, 22 Nov 2012
264 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
Yeah, I did ice it last night. Will that help the day after though? At work, but I'll get some Deep Freeze spray on it.
Nov 2012
11:18am, 22 Nov 2012
2,449 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
When I had my achilles issue I was icing it most evenings for two weeks, but that was probably major overkill.
Nov 2012
11:20am, 22 Nov 2012
3,566 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Keep icing it regularly. It's a good way of keeping down the initial inflammation. Twisted ankles are funny things. Sometimes they blow up and you think you'll be out for weeks but they can settle down again quite quickly. Did you hear anything go 'pop'? That'd be busted ligaments
Nov 2012
11:30am, 22 Nov 2012
369 posts
  •  
NickyNoo
I went over on mine about 5 weeks ago, didn't balloon up or bruise. I think that's good thing for you that it has. My recovery is very very very slow as the bruising hasn't yet come out. I did get a tubigrip style bandage from Boots which is specifically for strains/sprains which has been good. Keep icing, fingers crossed you won't be out for long. If you have a sports therapist see them and get some strengthening exercises asap.
Nov 2012
11:38am, 22 Nov 2012
14,837 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I went over on mine playing tennis on holiday a few years ago. It ballooned up and went through a glorious range of colours over the next few days (I spent most of the rest of the holiday lying on a sun lounger marvelling at its latest shade), but I seem to recall it wasn't too long before it was fine again - can't remember exactly how long though, sorry. It probably helped that I was on holiday and could rest it a lot!
Nov 2012
11:46am, 22 Nov 2012
6,702 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I went over on my ankle in January - managed to break it! So, if it's not improving and is still painful, I'd really recommend a trip to A&E.
Nov 2012
12:44pm, 22 Nov 2012
7 posts
  •  
oldgrunter
RICE - rest ice compress elevate.
A session with a physio could save you months. Attempt to keep mobile & when it improves use a wobble board & draw the alphabet with your foot!
I speak from painful experience. Good luck.
Nov 2012
12:46pm, 22 Nov 2012
8 posts
  •  
oldgrunter
Did my ligament big style & was told by a doctor & physio I'd have been better off breaking it!!

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
Ankle is up like a balloon Went over it on a run last night.

How long will I be out of action? Sh...