Welsh Cakes

58 watchers
Mar 2015
9:26am, 30 Mar 2015
3,718 posts
  •  
WildeRover
It seems odd that people who know very little about running are the first ones willing to stump up ridiculous monies. Consequently it is the occasional and 'one off' runners that end up inflating the prices.

I know a few people in work who have done the pre-registration and are excited to have got their place in the World Half Marathon. Only one of them is a current runner.
Mar 2015
2:38pm, 30 Mar 2015
5,736 posts
  •  
The_Saint
The other factor is the very high DNS rate amongst the people who enter egged on by friends and colleagues who have very little inclination to actually do that menial training bit.
Money in the bank for the organisers who will still quote the entry number as the finishes total.
Apr 2015
8:22am, 15 Apr 2015
67,779 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Can't believe those prices :-o. I haven't run or raced since 2008 but things have gotten decently out of control! Knowing costs of road closures and policing then there still is too big a profit margin in there. I suppose one charges what one can get away with...
May 2015
5:22pm, 10 May 2015
3,725 posts
  •  
WildeRover
I thought some of you might be interested in a review of the new Sorbrook Slog, which replaced the Sorbrook Challenge this year.

It is built around the same basic loop, but Griffithstown thought it would be more interesting to mix up road and off-road. The resulting route is advertised at 7 mile(ish) instead of the old 10k. I made it 6.7 miles which was roughly agreed with on surrounding Garmins. If anything, twists under tree cover is likely to lead to Garmins measuring a touch short.

Start and finish were both at the old finish line, in the lane by the crematorium. The first part is the same as the Challenge, going on road slightly uphill past Greenmeadow, then long downhill to the road below the dam. Then, just when the old route would have gone up the first big climb, the Slog goes off-road. For about half a mile it is a sequence of flattish fields and stiles. Then it starts getting really different.

At the end of the fields you cross the brook on a little one plank wide footbridge, before turning sharply to come back through the water. It was about 4-6 inches deep, enough to cover trainers, muddy and cold. This will be the first of a few dunkings you feet will get. Then you start up a steep, narrow, muddy and stony drainage gully. Unfortunately it is generally only about 4 or 5 ft wide at shoulder height and narrows to 2ft wide at foot level. Or to put it another way, apart from some very rare points along the way it is single file. It is also so steep that after just a few yards you can get stuck 11th in line behind someone who is reduced to a walk. To be fair, lots were - but it was very frustrating that I wouldn't have been. Every opportunity I snuck round to take places, but never got to the front of the queue. As if this wasn't enough, there were some fallen trees in the gully. The first required a scrambling climb over the route ball to get past - the second you could sidestep past if you flattened yourself against the wall of the gully. Eventually you emerged from the gully and after a little more uphill drag on farm track, rejoined the Challenge route at the top of the hill.

Next section was back on the roads down past the llandegfedd car parks and across the dam. Once across, instead of following the road to the right and up the hill, it was the next off-road section. This one started with a few stone steps, which then became woodland path 'wood and dirt' steps. Fortunately things were a little less congested and their was space to run past those walking up the steps. At the top it became a narrow woodland path which bent to the right and wandered up and down a bit with occasional short step sections. (Reminded me a bit of the Offas Dyke section on Tintern Trot) Very narrow, with a steep drop to one side. This emerged near the top of the second hill, with only 100m or so of road to get to the waterworks.

Half mile of downhill and it was onto the final off-road section. This one was another narrow muddy and stony drainage gully. For most of its length it was downhill, and much gentler than the steep one we had come up earlier. Probably because we were more spread out and possibly because those who were tentative were aware of how tentative they were being - but I found others much more inclined to get out of the way as soon as they heard pounding feet closing in behind them. Then there with bits that were thick sloppy mud, a few more streams, rocky bits and after bottoming out a little bit of climb coming out the other end.

Back onto a road access to a farm, for a final half mile of mostly uphill drag, before we intercepted the 'straight mile' finishing stretch of the old Challenge. Then a final flat finishing km and done.

I found the run a lot of fun, but occasionally frustrating due to being stuck single file behind slower people. I think I would enjoy it as a social run - having fun going out running some crazy paths. Don't think it makes for a good race route though, for the reasons given. (Then again, people love Merthyr Mawr with similar issues.)

So, wet, muddy, technical, draining and challenging. Bit of a slog then.
Oct 2015
5:40pm, 25 Oct 2015
2,211 posts
  •  
Robbo62
Been a while since anyone had anything to say here, just tried to enter the Lliswerry 8 only to find its sold out. Not so long ago you could enter on the day now its full 3 months in advance.
Oct 2015
6:23pm, 25 Oct 2015
5,772 posts
  •  
The_Saint
When I first did Merthyr Mawr Christmas Pudding Race in 2005 my chums and I entered on the day - about £7
Earlier this month all 700 places sold out in 32 minutes (actually I made it more like 24 minutes because you couldn't join the queue by then).
Some people don't like the race for all sorts of reasons and I think the razmatazz surrounding actually getting an entry has led to a much higher percentage of people entering because of this rather than the race itself but I still think that it has a unique combination of features.
Oct 2015
7:58pm, 25 Oct 2015
8,113 posts
  •  
Columba
I was warned about the Liswerry 8 filling up quickly, and entered on the second day. Only a few days later, it was full.
Nov 2015
8:53am, 1 Nov 2015
3,785 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Less than 4 days for the Liswerry 8 to fill - I'm not used to having to do all this planning so far ahead.

It seems that as soon as a race sells out one year, whether it be very early, or even days in advance - the simple fact that you couldn't enter on the day starts the snowball rolling.

Fortunately there are still plenty of excellent and incredibly fun races that you can enter on the day.
Jan 2016
7:04pm, 18 Jan 2016
5,872 posts
  •  
*Anj*
Seeing as this IS the Welsh cakes thread, ;-) does anyone have and is willing to share a Welsh cakes recipe?

Also is traditional to use currents, raisins or sultanas, or does it not matter?
Thanks
Jan 2016
8:03am, 20 Jan 2016
5,873 posts
  •  
*Anj*
Anybody?

About This Thread

Maintained by Zoom
Not just about Welsh Cakes, but also general ramblings by Welsh and non Welsh Fetchies.
See article for Welsh translation http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=200