Weird ankle injury - stress fracture?

3 watchers
Apr 2011
1:34pm, 17 Apr 2011
351 posts
  •  
Rhubarby
Ooops Alexander technique LOL - gendered it there hehe!
Apr 2011
10:43pm, 17 Apr 2011
38 posts
  •  
IanM
Yes I noticed Rhu :-)
Well, I'm glad to be of help. Any time, you know where I am if you need me.
Apr 2011
5:43am, 18 Apr 2011
253 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
Hi Ian, I'd wondered if it might be the shoes that caused my problem as that's the only thing I've changed recently. I was persuaded by the guy in my local running shop to try a different brand whilst I was home last summer. 3 months later, I had the sore ankle. I'd also been getting a blister on the instep when running..... Everything else - type of exercise, duration, speed, etc - was the same as I've been doing for years.

I'm just concerned that after 4 months of almost complete rest ie very little exercise and no running to speak of, it's not healed at all. The "new shoes" are confined to the back of the cupboard! Thanks for taking an interest :)

Rhu - hope you're not feeling too uncomfortable. Let me know if you discover a magic instant cure!! The tablets/gel I'm using are certainly helping to dull the pain but I'd love to know what the underlying problem is and how to sort it.
Apr 2011
7:12am, 18 Apr 2011
352 posts
  •  
Rhubarby
Thanks again Ian, I really am very grateful.

Alice - glad the pain is lessened but really hope you can get to the bottom of the problem. I had a similar issue with some Brooks I bought last year - had previously been in Sauconys. The Brooks were a baaaaad idea and prompted Achilles issues.
Apr 2011
10:03am, 18 Apr 2011
254 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
I swopped my trusty Sauconys for Asics! I'll be getting new Sauconys next time I'm in the UK.
Apr 2011
6:45pm, 18 Apr 2011
41 posts
  •  
IanM
Hi Alice,

A lot of people think that it must be something that they have changed recently and it does seem logical when an injury apparently comes out of the blue. Of course, you can get small injuries very quickly with little changes but on the whole these tend to be chafing or rubbing related.

Other injuries tend to come from a long history of repeated abuse - I mean that although we may think an injury has just appeared it may have been developing for quite a while. This is because the human body is brilliant at adapting and it will constantly try to adapt to things. Injuries happen when it loses the ability to adapt any more because we have gone beyond what our body can achieve.

Shoes can and do injure people IMHO but it could be also be an underlying gait or running style issue that has been developing for some time.

I do have what some might deem as unconventional views though. I believe that we shouldn't wear big cushioned shoes at all. I just wear very minimal shoes to run in plus I go barefoot or very close quite a lot.

After 4 months of almost complete rest and no healing though makes me think it is something you are doing all the time - hence my question about what shoes you wear normally and how you walk etc. Could be just as simple as changing your work shoes and improving your posture when you walk and run.
Apr 2011
8:30pm, 18 Apr 2011
353 posts
  •  
Rhubarby
Just to jump in, Ian that makes a lot of sense to me... I know from a personal perspective I have had weird over-pronatory flat feet for as long as I can remember - my ballet teacher informed my mother I would never be any good because of my "weird feet" aged 9. Now, well over 20 years later, my stupidly mobile and clicky hips are a somehwat unfortunate legacy!

Really hope you get to the bottom of the issue Alice
Apr 2011
7:23am, 19 Apr 2011
255 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
Thanks guys. Food for thought. Although I do get confused by all the conflicting information I read! I never wear heels, I'm barefoot around the house and wear flat sandals (with straps - not flipflops) most of the rest of the time. Yet on the PF thread recently, I read that you shouldn't walk around barefooted but should wear shoes with small heels....?? Perhaps that is specifically for PF sufferers?

I will take your advice and get my gait analysed next time I'm home. You may/may not know that I live in Qatar and those sort of facilities are non-existent here. Generalising, people don't tend to exercise fullstop let alone do anything as energetic as running! Hence no quality sport shops. There is a shop selling trainers - called "Athletes Foot" - doesn't inspire confidence!!

Thank you so much for the suggestions :)
Apr 2011
9:01pm, 19 Apr 2011
43 posts
  •  
IanM
Alice, conflicting information abounds unfortunately. There are different schools of thought on causes and treatment of PF too.

My own take on it (after listening to Cabletow's advice when I had a bit of it) is that many times if you stop doing what it is that is causing the PF to flare up then it will heal. I had to stop twisting it or over stretching it (bit of both I reckon) when I ran and walked. I never once considered wearing any heels on shoes to make it go away and yet it disappeared within a few weeks when I changed the way I walked and ran and changed my work shoes.

As for the gait analysis - I wouldn't advise you go to a running shop and let them video you on a treadmill. Reason being is that the gait analysis in shops is a sales aid (cynical of me maybe) and running on a mill is different to running on road.

I would advise getting your running form analysed by someone who studies running form. That would involve taking a video of you running anywhere outside, analysing the vid and reporting back to you on findings along with advice on what to do next.

LOL @ Athletes Foot for a running shop! :-) Maybe while you are in Qatar you can start a running craze :-)

Take care.
Apr 2011
9:09pm, 19 Apr 2011
6,103 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Bizarrely, Athlete's Foot is an American company, which makes the name even more odd.

About This Thread

Maintained by The Rhubarb Pea
Anyone experienced this? Is the pain usually worse at night? Mine is, and it seems counter-intuitive...