Weird ankle injury - stress fracture?

3 watchers
Apr 2011
1:33pm, 12 Apr 2011
343 posts
  •  
Rhubarby
Anyone experienced this? Is the pain usually worse at night? Mine is, and it seems counter-intuitive. Why would it hurt far more when I am not moving about? Hmmmm not convinced it is a stress fracture

Off to osteo later for back, will see what he says about ankle too but thought would ask here first...

Thanks, Rhu
Apr 2011
1:39pm, 12 Apr 2011
4,393 posts
  •  
Iris
Tendons can feel worse in the mornings when you've been asleep, could you have a tendon problem?
Apr 2011
2:30pm, 12 Apr 2011
344 posts
  •  
Rhubarby
The pain (to touch) is right on the inside ankle bone but yes I think it feels more 'tendony' maybe. But it's not so much painful in the morning as all through the night - a hot, throbbing pain.
Apr 2011
4:52pm, 16 Apr 2011
252 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
Sounds familiar....

After 4 months of not running and the symptoms getting no better, today I bit the bullet and went to see an orthopaedic doc. An Xray showed no fractures (I'd convinced myself that there would be one somewhere!). I've come away with an ankle support, anti-inflammatries, gastric ulcer pills (to counteract the anti-inflammatries) and analgaesic gel. He didn't make a diagnosis but I go back in a week's time.

Fed up of the constant dull ache.
Apr 2011
5:44pm, 16 Apr 2011
34 posts
  •  
IanM
Rhu, have you stopped running?

Alice - what shoes do you wear? Have you looked at how you are walking?
Apr 2011
7:52am, 17 Apr 2011
347 posts
  •  
Rhubarby
Alice really hope that regime helps...

Ian yup, I stopped running right away (sob) - initially as a result of sacroiliac joint inflammation, then the ankle came on too. Am an overpronator and have recently gained a lot of weight (nearly 20kg) as a result of getting better from anorexia.

On the upside, the rest seems to be helping a lot :) Though mentally I am getting a bit fed-up.
Apr 2011
8:58am, 17 Apr 2011
35 posts
  •  
IanM
Rhu, great to hear you are on the road to recovery.

I would advise that you investigate how you sit, walk, move about normally, what shoes you wear and finally get a video doen of you running and let someone have a look see if there is anything running form wise that can be corrected/improved upon.

Often it is what we spend most of our time doing that slowly injures us. If you read the Alexander Technique you will understand what I'm getting at. When you think about it, it does make sense. We spend only a fraction of our time running - yes we can injure ourselves doing it but very often it can be what we do in our lives that predisposes us to injury.

All that being said, your illness (anorexia) may not have helped at all in that all sorts of problems can arise from poor nutrition.

Take heart, keep your chin up and go see an expert - a sports injury person perhaps with some quals in nutrition to advise you.

On the technique front for running there are lots of people on here who can advise. Of course, I'm quite willing to help if you want me to.
Apr 2011
9:02am, 17 Apr 2011
36 posts
  •  
IanM
Rhu, this book is very interesting and helpful...

theartofrunning.com
Apr 2011
9:07am, 17 Apr 2011
37 posts
  •  
IanM
Rhu, I see from your training that you have been on an eliptical trainer? I know of at least two people that have sustained ankle injuries from using them. Not that I'm blaming the machines themselves but people can hold themselves unnaturally. Maybe give that a rest and see if the ankle improves?
Apr 2011
1:32pm, 17 Apr 2011
350 posts
  •  
Rhubarby
Ian thank you so so much. I know I have a pretty weird gait - years of ballet as a child have given me really stupidly mobile hips, and basically I walk and especially run like a duck with my toes turned out. Similarly, I tend to sit cross-legged a lot, which I believe is pretty bad? Desk job too though I move about as much as I can (at least every hour for 5-10 mins) and I walk a lot. Coupled with pronating and yup, 20 years of an eating disorder is not likely to have helped my poor body any!

Alexandra technique is something I am really keen to look at. I love yoga, but have been so grumbly and inflamed in the SI joints for the last month or so even that has been out.

Strangely, I seem to be better when I run on hard surfaces rather than grass - the latter has always been the surface I have been on before getting injured.

On the elliptical - yup, I have a feeling it is set slightly too wide for me naturally, makes sense to me that it strains my ankles. But back-wise it seems to be the least aggravating, sort of loosens things up almost. But that's just a gut-feeling, I am probably completely wrong! For the moment I still daren't really do anything though I am going to try yoga tomorrow, taking it steady.

I am really interested about the technique side of things - I think this will help a lot. Going to have a good look at the artofrunning website now...

Thank you again for all your help, am really very grateful :)

About This Thread

Maintained by The Rhubarb Pea
Anyone experienced this? Is the pain usually worse at night? Mine is, and it seems counter-intuitive...