Weight training for numpties

12 watchers
Jun 2013
9:52am, 17 Jun 2013
16,890 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I want to build my upper body strength a bit, since it is feeble and puny at the moment. Also, I note worrying signs of the onset of the dreaded bingo wings, so upper arms are an area of particular concern. I don’t have much of a clue where to begin, though. Can anybody recommend some nice simple exercises either for the gym or at home? (Preferably home since ability to get to the gym regularly is limited.) I have light weights at home, son has great big heavy ones in his room. I guess I could buy more.

Any advice welcome…..

:)
Jun 2013
10:56am, 17 Jun 2013
18,478 posts
  •  
macca53
I started going to the gym for exactly the same reason Sheri. The coaches there started me on 5 basic exercises: chest press, shoulder press, bicep curl, squat and dead lift. I've since added tricep stuff as well.
Jun 2013
10:58am, 17 Jun 2013
4,137 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Tricep Dips Sheri - all you need is a chair. Google it.
Jun 2013
11:22am, 17 Jun 2013
16,899 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Great, thanks. I'll look those up :)
Jun 2013
11:35am, 17 Jun 2013
4,138 posts
  •  
Sharkie
You are a mere babe in arms compared to me Sheri - but I need to mention that it DOES get harder to improve muscle tone as you get older. Certainly not impossible and actually resistance training (eg weights) is very important to persevere with. Get the habit now and you won't regret it.

For many older women (proviso in your case noted above) it takes a while for results to show - the older you are the longer it takes. But don't give up - and make sure you use either your own body weight and work hard enough - or heavy enough weights. You need to do trillions of reps if you use light weights. I'm quite small and slight but I certainly wouldn't use any lighter than 2 kilo dumbbells for arm exercises. For bicep curls and the like I would use 3- 5 kilos depending on the number of reps. Little light ones like 1.5 kgs do have their uses though and you can get an ok set of basic dumbbells from Argos pretty cheaply. Prob 1.5 - 2 and 3, or something similar.

Modified press ups (on your knees) graduating to full press ups are also good and don't need any equipment.
Jun 2013
11:38am, 17 Jun 2013
2,618 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Macca and sharkie have given you the exercises I would recommend. Start with the light weights to get your technique and confidence right, then move up gradually and slowly. You should be looking at 10-12 repetitions of each exercise and repeat each set 3 times. You should be starting to feel it getting hard to move the weight at the end of the 3rd set - not struggling to shift it from the start.

Press ups are also a good exercise to work your biceps and triceps and shoulders. You can start doing them on your knees if a full press up on your toes is too hard at first.
Jun 2013
12:03pm, 17 Jun 2013
2,283 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Natural bodyweight training is also very good - I do mine outside using benches for triceps dips, and the garden wall for press-ups, mountain climbers etc - plus they help your core strength too.
Jun 2013
12:08pm, 17 Jun 2013
4,139 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Ooh forgot mountain climbers - they are brilliant - as are Burpees. Plus Burpeees make you feel well 'ard when you can do them properly!
Jun 2013
12:11pm, 17 Jun 2013
25,779 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Whatever you do - and there are lots of different opinions about the best regime for increasing upper body muscle and all of them probably work - the most important thing is to persevere, because, as Sharkie says, it can take time. Sometimes a LOT of time if you're not someone who finds it easy to gain muscle bulk.

You probably only have a limited amount of time to do resistance exercises. Focus on large or multiple muscle groups first - press-ups (I'd say get into the habit of attempting full press-ups right from the start), pull-ups/chin-ups (you can get a bar to hang in the doorway for these, and standing on a chair and lowering yourself slowly to the ground is a good way to begin), and weighted squats. Tricep dips are worthwhile. Bicep curls on their own will, at best, give you arms that look like string with a knot in it.
Jun 2013
12:36pm, 17 Jun 2013
16,900 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Brilliant, thanks for all the advice :)

Several years ago - before I started running, and didn't do much exercise at all - I started going to the gym twice a week with a friend while son was at football training. I didn't really know what I was doing but just went round all the machines and I definitely noticed a difference after a while. But I haven't done much at all since then and of course am several years older so results might be harder to see....

I'll try all of the suggestions, thanks again.

About This Thread

Maintained by sheri3004
I want to build my upper body strength a bit, since it is feeble and puny at the moment. Also, I not...