Weekend race cancelled/postponed? Post it here

8 watchers
Mar 2018
10:13am, 19 Mar 2018
76 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
Stafford half cancelled but rescheduled for April, they got a lot of stick but I feel for the organisers, and I certainly wouldn't like to have marshalled in those conditions - brrrr
Mar 2018
4:14pm, 19 Mar 2018
1,236 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I think the big difference is that some re-scheduled (e.g Stafford) and some just cancelled without refund (Reading). The speed of the re-scheduling of at least two runs that I kept an eye on suggests that they (and all the other agencies involved) had a solid backup plan ready and that's impressive. As a runner I didn't see any visibility of this for the Reading Half and I thought that was a shame as they could have minimised the unfortunate negative feedback (which must be demoralising for all those that work so hard volunteering etc), much of which was communication-based which is always avoidable. I felt for them all the same. However, i would like to see the runs be clearer thay there is no refund (some runners didn't appear to know this) and also make it clear that they have a backup day if the run is cancelled.
Mar 2018
4:42pm, 19 Mar 2018
2,790 posts
  •  
jennyh
I do feel sorry for Reading, but I think the communication issues have really let them down (presumably along with the decision to cancel on Sunday morning rather than Saturday night - it's not like the bad weather wasn't forecast).

I know a lot of races, if they went strictly by their T&Cs, wouldn't offer a refund, but Reading do seem to be very much the exception here. I know when Bath cancelled two weeks ago they just automatically refunded everyone. When Newport cancelled for the first time two weeks ago they offered participants the option of a refund, to defer to next year (which is what I did as I had another half booked for yesterday, of course, that was cancelled too), or to transfer to the rearranged date. (Don't think they've said yet what their plans are after the second cancellation).
Mar 2018
6:01pm, 19 Mar 2018
1,237 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Jennyh - interesting article about insurance below. Also interesting comment by a reader (I didn't realise sweatshop was a sports direct brand)

readingchronicle.co.uk
Mar 2018
6:58am, 20 Mar 2018
1,239 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
On a final note.. the organisers of reading half allowed those who can to pick up their goodie bags and medals. So a friend of mine picked up his and mine. This means we will now run the course ourselves (as near to the original as possible) in May. So that we can justify our medals and t shirts.

Also I hear that a £40 shopping voucher is being given to all runners (courtesy of sports direct). That will be welcome.
Mar 2018
11:19am, 30 Mar 2018
4,950 posts
  •  
hillstrider
The New Forest 10 mile race which is usually held in July, won't be held this year, as they are unable to organise a race committee. They do, however, hope to reinstate it in 2019.
R4R
Apr 2018
2:51pm, 5 Apr 2018
2,855 posts
  •  
R4R
Not weather related, for a change:

Cancelled: Valiants Half Marathon
SENT BY ALAN TAYLOR ON 03/04/2018 AT 10:20
This race has been cancelled, due to low numbers.
Apr 2018
3:13pm, 5 Apr 2018
1,266 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Quite late for a cancellation due to numbers (closing date was 1st from what I can see). I wonder if refunds are being given.
R4R
Apr 2018
8:40pm, 5 Apr 2018
2,856 posts
  •  
R4R
Yes - the rest of the post goes on to say about refunds being processed
Apr 2018
6:39pm, 13 Apr 2018
23,669 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Hinchingbrooke and Wimpole parkruns both cancelled tomorrow - waterlogging

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by R4R
Sunday was due to be first race of the year, but not any more ...

GPW Recruitment St Helens 10k S...