•  
The_Saint
I was asked how fast my hair and nails grow, "annoyingly fast" was my response
May 2022
2:08pm, 9 May 2022
3,161 posts
  •  
Oranj
My friend made overnight oats the other day and a scoop of protein powder was put in the mixture

Considering it sometimes feels like I live on overnight oats I'm having a bit of a facepalm at not realising this was a possibility. Thanks!

I did a diet analysis a few years ago and found I wasn't getting anywhere near enough protein. I guess it depends on how much exercise you're doing whether you need to supplement or not, but it seems I do.
May 2022
2:24pm, 9 May 2022
19,818 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I'm surprised EvilPixie says she should be 'having well over 100g to help with age and weight issues' Where do you get that figure from, Pix?

I stuck my details (height, weight, age, exercise) into a calculator and it reckoned I need 94.6 grams of protein per day - and I am older and taller than you Pix.

I have what I consider to be a high protein diet - just choice - and it's usually around 95-100 grams. I don't feel right unless I have protein with every meal including breakfast - but then I'm just old fashioned! (as well as old!)
May 2022
2:35pm, 9 May 2022
32,468 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
smile.amazon.co.uk

This book gives me

which for my current weight and "light exercise" gives me 102-136g of protein and 136-153 when doing endurance (which I read as over 2 hrs)

From Anita Bean ..... "current guidelines recommend 1.2-2g per Kg" which gives me 102-170g
May 2022
2:39pm, 9 May 2022
57,923 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I think Pix's figure is about right given her current weight and the likelihood that she'll be attempting to lose weight therefore will need to optimise protein intake to minimise the amount of lost weight that is lean tissue. It shouldn't be all that difficult for an adult to get 100g from a mixed diet that has a protein source at every meal.
May 2022
2:44pm, 9 May 2022
19,819 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Oh ok, I haven't done the sums for ages and had forgotten weight might be a significant factor.

Mind you I was also surprised you said only 50 grams on an average day, Pix! What are you eating!!! Or rather NOT eating?
May 2022
2:48pm, 9 May 2022
32,470 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I am a carb queen which is part of my problem
May 2022
2:52pm, 9 May 2022
19,820 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I can see that would be tricky. Nice piece of cheese not as temping as a sweet biscuit then?
May 2022
2:56pm, 9 May 2022
32,471 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I have a very sweet tooth and as everyone knows eating carbs (crap) leads to eating more
I got into the habit many years ago when stressed and find it hard to break
the only time I did break it was when I went LCHF and lost over a stone before dad was in his last illness when I returned to comfort eating
May 2022
5:38pm, 9 May 2022
57,930 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm also a devil for confectionery, hence the oblongs. If I'm going to eat sweet snacks, and I'm not likely to stop at my age, I might as well choose sweet snacks that have a wodge of protein and fibre in them. Especially on work days when those sweet snacks are instead of meals rather than in addition to meals.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
I am trying to increase my protein intake so have bought some protein powder off PHD.

Other than "protein shake" how else do you use your protein powders?

The website usefully says
"Whether it’s protein pancakes in the morning, high protein cookies as a snack or a light, fluffy mousse in the evening there isn’t an indulgent recipe you can make without including Smart Protein."

But doesn't give any information about how to do these things so I thought I would ask you wonderful ...