Ways to beat office boredom

3 watchers
Mar 2012
12:36pm, 9 Mar 2012
612 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
Working in an office literally bores me to tears.

I've been considering going back freelance again lately but just wondering - those of us who work in an office - are you constantly clock-checking too?

My job currently isn't all that boring, but I work pretty quickly and find myself getting frustrated at being stuck in the same chair, at the same desk, looking at the same things out the window day in, day out. I've even started making a list of hours - 8.30am 9.30am 10.30am etc and crossing them off just to show the progress I've made through the day!

My other half thinks I'm actually too much of a livewire to stick an office job long-term as I literally can't sit still.

Just wondering whether anyone else who works in an office has this problem or whether they just suck it up and get on with it?

Just seems to me like a massive waste of life. I have freelanced quite a bit in the past - the money is better, it's obviously more flexible and I know that I'm fortunate to be in an industry where I CAN do this... just a bit of a leap of faith I guess.
Mar 2012
12:38pm, 9 Mar 2012
786 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
This might help http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog.php
Mar 2012
12:40pm, 9 Mar 2012
18,856 posts
  •  
Frobester
Or this

gutenberg.org
Mar 2012
12:40pm, 9 Mar 2012
10,573 posts
  •  
Cavey
I'm about 50:50 - Office:Site

But the 50% of the time in the office is massively tedious. I haven't reached the stage of making lists of 'time' and ticking it off.

I do have Excel lists for pretty much everything else though!!
Mar 2012
12:41pm, 9 Mar 2012
9,664 posts
  •  
Naomi P
You need to get a job that engages and stretches you. Then you should be able to fill your time even when you've finished everything you've been given to do. You should be able to read around the subject ad infinitum and if you show initiative, it'll help you get promoted so you're in a more challenging position.

Fetch is a great time waster, but it ain't going to get you paid more.

Not that it's all about money of course.
Mar 2012
12:48pm, 9 Mar 2012
15,488 posts
  •  
Mr Mick & NOT so Little Phil
i wish i could go back to work

but i never will
Mar 2012
12:51pm, 9 Mar 2012
4,661 posts
  •  
Iris
I work in an office and it's not boring, it's challenging and I have to account for my time in full. That said, if your job is making you cry while you're there then maybe it's time for a rethink.
Mar 2012
12:51pm, 9 Mar 2012
613 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
This is the thing...

I'm on an alright wage now but I could be earning a lot more freelancing. I know this because I've done it before, it was more than comfortable plus earning that much extra would mean we could save for a mortgage (which is never going to happen at the moment)

Plus the fact that I am not engaged or stimulated at work means that my mind wanders off a lot and I end up thinking way too much about things which isn't good for me.

I've only ever worked in offices... some granted, have been more upbeat than others but at the end of the day, they are ALL ones where I just sit here at my computer every day. It's so frustrating as I could actually be doing this from home a lot more efficiently. I know that doesn't make me part of the 'team' but that's the thing - I don't want to be a team player, I'd rather do my own thing.

My partner and I are in the same industry and we want one day to set up our own thing but it's just getting the money behind us to do this and break free...

Just feel like I'm being held back and wasted!

I could apply for more jobs... I could keep switching jobs every 6 months - 1 year like I keep doing just because I am NEVER satisfied or always think there is a better opportunity out there, but what good is that?

I guess I need to just make my mind up for myself, but it just struck me lately that maybe not everyone in an office environment really does get as numbingly bored as I do!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 2012
12:53pm, 9 Mar 2012
565 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Give it all up and become a hill farmer. I'm never bored.
Mar 2012
12:55pm, 9 Mar 2012
140 posts
  •  
UltraPaulo
FR - Sounds awesome... do you just need a hill to get going? An office bores me senseless but hopefully out soon!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Working in an office literally bores me to tears.

I've been considering going back freelance aga...