Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Waterproof running trousers

1 watcher
Feb 2014
11:54am, 19 Feb 2014
151 posts
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Advice please on waterproof trousers you can run in! I am doing the Grizedale Trail 26 on Sunday and the kit list states that a full waterproof layer must be carried. I usually wear my good old Adidas full-length running pants in inclement weather, but they are definitely not waterproof and I don't want to be DQ'd for failing a kit check. (I am aiming for a sub-4 hour time, so they definitely need to support running rather than impede it!)

My only waterproof trousers are big flappy Goretex overtrousers that I wear when out hiking on the fells and this is my first trail type event. Does anyone have recommendations for a close-fitting pair of waterproof running trousers? If so, can I wear these over shorts or over full-length running pants or do I need to prepare for a quick change of clothing behind a tree?

I *think* I am looking at kit like the Inov-8 Racepant, the Montane Mens Atomic or the Ronhill Trail Tempest. And, pushing my luck now, recommendations for stockists in Ambleside would be welcome too!
Feb 2014
12:00pm, 19 Feb 2014
2868 posts
longboat
Are you actually looking to wear them or do you just have to carry them?

If you are happy running without, then plan to run without, but have a super light pair to carry - or take the ones you've got and save your cash
Feb 2014
12:05pm, 19 Feb 2014
152 posts
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
I did wonder about putting my wife's small lightweight running trousers in the bag!

No, I'm accepting the possiblity that I might need to wear them (in the Lake District in February, after all!) and am prepared to spend to get something lightweight and decent. Also in the back of my mind is the possibility that one off-road marathon may lead to another ...
Feb 2014
12:11pm, 19 Feb 2014
720 posts
GeeeM
I've carried waterproof trousers plenty of times as a kit requirement but never used them in a race, (yet) this includes 40-50 mile mountain ultras in freezing, rain and wind! They would probably have been useful during The Spine though ;-) I sometimes wear them if I'm taking public transport to/from a long training run.

I've got a pair of these gooutdoors.co.uk at well under a tenner, probably be able to find something similar on eBay :-)

I 'upgraded' to a £100+ pair of Montne Atomics a couple of years ago and - to be honest, the cheapo ones work just as well and are a bit lighter!
Feb 2014
12:19pm, 19 Feb 2014
1326 posts
Pedro_Perez
I have done many a fell runs/race with waterproofs as a kit requirement, I purchased a pair of trousers and a top from Decathalon both with taped seams, total cost of £10.

I have used the top on several times and its GREAT, the bottoms have never been used other then to keep me warm before the start of the race.

They don't have to be expensive and agree with GeeeM, the cheap stuff works just as well if not better then the high end.
Feb 2014
12:32pm, 19 Feb 2014
2869 posts
longboat
It looks like you have your answer! I have never run in waterproof trousers, and am now living and running in Switzerland, albeit neither the weather nor my running is too extreme at the moment
Feb 2014
12:58pm, 19 Feb 2014
153 posts
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Thanks all - that's been really helpful feedback.
Mar 2014
4:02pm, 5 Mar 2014
235 posts
southcoastclaret
It has always been my understanding that the point of them being a kit requirement is so that you can put them on and have a wind-proof and water-proof layer if you are injured and unable to run.
Mar 2014
4:38pm, 5 Mar 2014
647 posts
jacdaw
You may need waterproof trousers with taped seams if this event has requirements similar to a fell race. You would normally expect to carry them with you rather than set off in them, so light and small enough to fit in your bum bag. My top choice (money no object) would be OMM Kamleikas; they are quiet and reasonably breathable, so pleasant to run in, and they have taped seams. Some cheap ones with taped seams will do the job in an emergency and pass the kit check, but may be heavier to carry and will rustle and be less breathable if you need to wear them. But even cheap waterproofs make a huge difference if you end up walking for any reason in the cold and rain.

The Climber's Shop in Ambleside has some good running kit these days (at the more expensive end of the market); it might be worth giving them a ring (rather than assuming they will have what you want).
Mar 2014
6:03pm, 5 Mar 2014
17255 posts
JohnnyO
I have Atomics. They work for me, though I have only worn them once.
I think I paid about £25 on line. I wanted to be sure they were acceptable to the organisers so I was reluctant to buy the cheaper ones.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by ♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Advice please on waterproof trousers you can run in! I am doing the Grizedale Trail 26 on Sunday and...