Waterproof Running Jacket (trail / ultra?) advice

13 watchers
Nov 2020
12:55pm, 16 Nov 2020
47,738 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Hellys used to be horrendous for picking up odours hence ‘Smelly Helly’. Two or three times 30 to 60 min runs ought to be possible with current garments. I’ve bought two recently and prefer the plain black with white chevrons on the sleeves
Nov 2020
12:58pm, 16 Nov 2020
47,739 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
This kind of garment

outdoorgb.com
Nov 2020
8:55pm, 16 Nov 2020
13,820 posts
  •  
Homer
Hellys work. Merino does not (I love merino blends for hiking but for running it hold too much water)

My favourite base layer for wearing under a jacket is the Patagonia Capilene Cool Lightweight. It will not hold moisture. I use it in the way you mentioned, i.e. minimum to stop me getting cold. It is very light but not cheap
Nov 2020
9:11pm, 16 Nov 2020
13,821 posts
  •  
Homer
Again, not cheap sorry, but the Inov8 Base Elite long sleeve is good - I like the long sleeve as I don't generally like the jacket sleeves on my forearms
Nov 2020
11:45pm, 16 Nov 2020
4,042 posts
  •  
Kieren
I really like the Patagonia Capilene - at least from what I have seen online. Nice solid colours that you could get away with at the pub. Maybe one day but. after buying the jacket and just about to buy a running vest, I am already over budget.
Nov 2020
10:27am, 17 Nov 2020
7,247 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I shouldn’t read this thread as I’m now wondering if a Helly base layer would be useful :)
Nov 2020
1:38pm, 17 Nov 2020
13,822 posts
  •  
Homer
Depends what for FDNB.... (though you know you wanna)

I have 2 Hellys. Once is very, very old and I probably only have it for nostalgia. One is newish and to be honest it keeps getting left in the drawer in favour of merino stuff for hiking or the Inov8 for running. Kinda contradicting myself sorry

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
Normally when running in the rain, I just get wet and am fine with that when finishing at home / so...