"a mountain equipment firefly, which I got for FRA based things"

In English, please, Johnny. :-)
Dec 2014
4:02pm, 15 Dec 2014
17,851 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Fell Runner Association stuff. This jacket: mountain-equipment.co.uk

Mine is bright red with yellow bits, so that it will be easier to find my body when it is lying in a ravine :-/
Dec 2014
4:04pm, 15 Dec 2014
17,852 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Actually not that one, mine has no pockets. Its similar though.
Dec 2014
4:12pm, 15 Dec 2014
6,530 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Waterproof is most definitely worth it for upland (hill/fell) running. Yes, quite a lot of the time you can get away with *just* a windproof, but there's been enough times I've been in the lakes in the summer and have been very glad I've got a fully taped-seams waterproof with hood, to make it worthwhile and a very important piece of kit. Same with waterproof bottoms - not needed very often, but invaluable when I have.

And this is the important point - it's not always immediately obvious when starting the run(s) when it has been necessary to carry waterproof -thus better to have that option with you at all times.

Hence the FRA kit decisions recently. And it now means that if you want to do the majority of fell races, you'll need fully waterproof top (with hood) and bottoms with taped seams.

But, if you're only doing low-level trail and road running, a windproof/shower-proof jacket will suffice unless you really don't want to get wet.
Dec 2014
4:13pm, 15 Dec 2014
6,531 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I have an old-style Kamelika smock and bottoms. Bought from the buzzy one :-)
Dec 2014
4:18pm, 15 Dec 2014
256 posts
  •  
andydgg
I suppose it depends on the distance you're running, If going over about 16 mile you'll slow down and won't be able to maintain body temperature, so a jacket is needed, imho. In this weather I always wear a jacket, it's not worth getting cold. I've got jackets that cost a tenner and an addidas that cost 70, the 70 quid one is bright orange...and says climacool or something on it, so it must be good.
Dec 2014
11:36pm, 15 Dec 2014
924 posts
  •  
StringSideUp
Oh no. Never have I seen such unanimously enthusiastic reviews as for the Kamleika and now I'm seriously trying to justify getting one....
SPR
Dec 2014
9:50am, 16 Dec 2014
19,772 posts
  •  
SPR
Meanwhile, I'm going to try reproofing my Velo H20, lol. My standard featherlite probably needs reproofing as well.

If that doesn't do the job, I'll consider the OMM Kamleika or probably the Marmot Essence.
Dec 2014
3:12pm, 17 Dec 2014
925 posts
  •  
StringSideUp
I've gone and done it. Ordered a Kamleika! No more excuses not to go out when it's pissing down. Damnit.
Dec 2014
3:50pm, 17 Dec 2014
5,930 posts
  •  
flip
Not well known but excellent kit designed by Durham Fell runners :

h18orr.com

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
What do people use? I cuurently use the Montane Velo H2O which is not very waterproof.

Bit of goo...