Washing waterproof stuff

2 watchers
Nov 2014
12:06pm, 9 Nov 2014
6,039 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Do you HAVE to use tech wash? I've got some OMM trousers - stretchy and brilliantly waterproof, and this time they really do need a wash rather than a careful sponging.

Would ordinary non bio washing powder be ok in the machine - or 'delicates' liquid perhaps? I haven't got any Nikwax or Grangers.

Any ideas?
Nov 2014
1:02pm, 9 Nov 2014
19,763 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
It needs to be 'soap' rather than 'detergent' or you risk the waterproof layer delaminating.
Some of the 'wool' liquids work well though
Nov 2014
1:31pm, 9 Nov 2014
6,041 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Ta v. much eL Bee - the wool/delicates is pure soap I think - will check and use if it is. None of the local supermarkets had the special stuff and I forgot when I was in London last week.

I might try the outdoorsy stores - I think there's a Blacks or something.
Nov 2014
1:46pm, 9 Nov 2014
19,764 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
V'rap and I use locally sourced wool/delicate wash liquid on holiday for our tech stuff (bike kit and waterproofs)
It works well when you can't get TechWash
Main difference is the added fragrance!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Do you HAVE to use tech wash? I've got some OMM trousers - stretchy and brilliantly waterproof, and...