Warm ups for new runners

4 watchers
Mar 2019
12:48pm, 3 Mar 2019
122 posts
  •  
Shoddy
Starting a couch to 5k group for people at work and need a warm up routine that is easy, simple and won’t put people off.

I thought walk to jog, then throw in some side steps, high knees and fast feet to finish. All of this in a circle so I can observe them doing it.

Any suggestions?
Mar 2019
1:01pm, 3 Mar 2019
57 posts
  •  
shyfire
For complete beginners/returners to exercises a simple walking warmup is good. As a repeat beginner/start over at running and exercise what you are suggesting would have given me the fear! Especially if I was in a big circle being watched. Less so when I know what am doing and have some base fitness. Really depends on the stage that the people are at in the group though.
Mar 2019
1:05pm, 3 Mar 2019
29,578 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Walking sounds perfect for true beginners to me
Mar 2019
1:14pm, 3 Mar 2019
123 posts
  •  
Shoddy
Good points - don’t want to be putting people off. Back to basics then and no need to over complicate things.
Mar 2019
1:16pm, 3 Mar 2019
45,467 posts
  •  
The Mighty Fleecy
Group leaders tend to go a bit crazy on warmups. Like doing jumping jacks with very inactive people (nooooo!) I suggest a 5 minute walk getting brisker as you go, if you must do anything else then turning it into a bit of a game is a good ice breaker and I agree that the circle thing can be intimidating. Focus on having fun and keeping the intensity low and/or the intervals really short.
Mar 2019
1:17pm, 3 Mar 2019
45,468 posts
  •  
The Mighty Fleecy
Also: if you’re giving them homework for sessions outside the group then best to have a super simple warmup because they won’t remember anything more complicated.
Mar 2019
1:26pm, 3 Mar 2019
14,431 posts
  •  
Sharkie
As the others have hinted it depends on how fit/unfit your colleagues are. Yes walking is good - but get them to gently swing the arms.

Personally I think it's never too early to introduce a few simple mobility drills - wold be interested to see what Autumn Leaves suggests - she's a very experienced (as well as qualified) coach of complete beginners.

Calling AL!
Mar 2019
1:27pm, 3 Mar 2019
14,432 posts
  •  
Sharkie
She's racing this morning so might not see this for a while!
Mar 2019
1:32pm, 3 Mar 2019
1,280 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
I have my c25k group stand in a circle. I do squats, lunges etc building up to little jumps, half star jumps etc to build up heart rate. In the meantime each person runs round the circle in turn and back to place. I change the exercise with each lap. With only 8 to 10 in the group it’s not a very big circle.
Mar 2019
1:37pm, 3 Mar 2019
124 posts
  •  
Shoddy
I like the idea of keeping it simple and yes there will be homework. In week one there’s more walking than running so it makes sense to do a walking warm up - maybe changing direction to make it a bit more engaging and I like the idea of incorporating arm pavements too.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shoddy
Starting a couch to 5k group for people at work and need a warm up routine that is easy, simple and ...