Warfarin vs Clopidogrel

2 watchers
Dec 2011
7:12pm, 28 Dec 2011
38,118 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
hello
a stent would normall requite 12 months of clopidogrel (and we would give apirin too) to prevent the stent blocking up
Warfarin has been proven to significantly reduce stroke in atrial fibrillation-BUT you have to weigh up the risk/benfit ration(risks of bleeding, falls and so on_)
In high risk patients, we have used all three drugs but each case has to be treated individually
This is a question for the cardiologist, who may well have written to your dads GP to initiate warfarin

Booze is okay if it is a regualr intake ratehr than sporadic large intakes
Dec 2011
7:25pm, 28 Dec 2011
38,119 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
And i would have expected a bit more specific advice form cardiology
Dec 2011
9:05am, 29 Dec 2011
2,931 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
Thanks everyone, this is really useful. Our main problem is that the advice from the cardiologist has gone to the GP, who is way too wishy washy for our liking, but thankfully my sister attends the surgery with Dad, as he admits he doesn't always listen or understand what the doctor is telling him.

The main thing we're trying to avoid is the risk of stroke.
Dec 2011
9:29am, 29 Dec 2011
38,123 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
ask to see the cardiology letter
Dec 2011
10:11am, 29 Dec 2011
2,932 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
I suspect it will come to that, PH, I've no faith we'll find out what's in it otherwise, and Dad would never ask, he's trying to wish that the whole thing hadn't happened.
Dec 2011
10:13am, 29 Dec 2011
12,441 posts
  •  
Pesto-myrrh-m
sounds like the communication problem is your dad's and that you're handling it well. x
Dec 2011
1:13pm, 29 Dec 2011
4,808 posts
  •  
Boingy
CC2 - I was told by my consultant that drinking cranberry juice could destabilise my INR, so to avoid it if possible. It was also mentioned in some literature I was given when I first started taking Warfarin. Don't think it's a real biggy, so just follow your GP's advice etc .... :-)
Dec 2011
1:47pm, 29 Dec 2011
6,068 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
I've never been told that!! Its grapefruits I've been told I can't have. I don't drink much anyway, but I do drink alcohol and don't think it has any effect on my INR, but then I'm not getting totally bladdered or anything.
Dec 2011
1:52pm, 29 Dec 2011
13,625 posts
  •  
Stumpy
Oh and avoid broccoli and anything high in vit k surely too?

Kath, my mum resisted warfarin for a long time (AF and stroke risk too) but she's on it now. She's doing ok. She has a teeny drink occasionally. Her skins bruises very badly (eg a black bruise covering whole hand from a blood test) but she's ok with it all and she was very concerned beforehand xxx
Dec 2011
2:04pm, 29 Dec 2011
6,069 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
I've never been told that about brocolli or vit K either! Noone obv tells me anything!

I hope your Mum gets it sorted out K. Warfarin is a pain in the ar*e but only because it needs to have the check thing done all the time and its a serious inconvenience to be at the doctors every 5 mins.

There is the risk of bleeding thing to consider- as Stumpy says, bruises come up at the slightest thing, and holy mother of god are my periods different these days (TMI i know lol, but sometimes I think I'm losing pints!!)- not that that will affect your Mum, but I just mean the bleeding thing, oh I'll just be quiet I'm rambling.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kittenheels Kath
Not sure I believe the name of that second drug, but here goes for my question: my Dad is 83, and h...