Wahoo App & importing to Fetch

3 watchers
Jan 2014
12:30am, 22 Jan 2014
3,700 posts
  •  
Kieren
I'm thinking of ditching my trusty Garmin 305 and getting a a wahoo bluetooth chest strap and syncing that with their app on my android phone (just downloaded the BLE app versions for strava and Wahoo)

Before I spend on the heart rate strap, I was wondering if anyone is using the wahoo app and what if so, does it have any way of giving you a file you can upload to fetcheveryone?
Jan 2014
2:01pm, 22 Jan 2014
3,701 posts
  •  
Kieren
I don't like to bump things but perhaps some of the bored at work gang might know?

Credit card is ready to go, I think I will probably order one or the other tonight regardless
Jan 2014
2:09pm, 22 Jan 2014
203 posts
  •  
oi you
Personal opinion, based on zero experience with either wahoo or phone apps, would be don't bother.
It's just another piece of kit to carry, keep dry, worry about dropping etc.
Plus phone apps, I'm told, are less accurate than Garmins as they sample less often.
Plus you know Garmin upload works.
Jan 2014
2:16pm, 22 Jan 2014
13,928 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Does it do a GPX or something similar?

I've tried out a couple of apps that do GPS tracking, and I've found them to be reasonably good - pretty similar to a watch. So long as it spits out a file that I can parse, you should be ok. Let me know what you find.
Jan 2014
2:57pm, 22 Jan 2014
714 posts
  •  
Lady Sol
Website mentions .gpx so I guess it would upload fine.
Jan 2014
3:46pm, 22 Jan 2014
322 posts
  •  
twelveone
Hey Kieren, you seen the new ones they are releasing? dcrainmaker.com might be worth waiting for.
Jan 2014
10:30pm, 22 Jan 2014
3,702 posts
  •  
Kieren
[oi you] I agree on the sample rate - I have my garmin sample every 1 second. I think phones are probably around 4s to save on battery. I have asked wahoo & am waiting feedback.

It is one more thing to carry but I kind of like having my phone on me for parkrun. Having internet connection means I can upload my run instantly and a with headphones, I can hear instructions should I choose one of the apps that coach / advise on pace or interval.

Fetch, Looks like Lady Sol has answered that but I've asked wahoo also (before I saw this update)

The new ones look interesting. I might hold on. All I really want it a bluetooth low energy heart rate strap but some of the other bluetooth add ons you can have, like cadence for the bike or (if you have deep pockets) a power meter for the bike, mean that smart phone features look promising.

dcrainmaker is an awesome website for reviews. He does a top notch job
Jan 2014
10:13am, 24 Jan 2014
323 posts
  •  
twelveone
dcr is good, i always check there before buying owt. how's life at RS? I kinda miss it.
Jan 2014
9:26pm, 24 Jan 2014
3,703 posts
  •  
Kieren
cloud has changed everything. I feel like a dinosaur.

BB are in the main office now which is nice for them & we have a small gym on site which is really great for getting something done at lunch as you loose zero time to the commute.

Do you hit any of the parkruns now? I can't remeber the reason for not going - was it the kids were too young or they were smimming?

I'm going to wait for the new wahoo. The new wave optical wrist straps look promising too
dcrainmaker.com
Jan 2014
12:23am, 25 Jan 2014
324 posts
  •  
twelveone
Yeah I'd heard they'd moved over there. Funny, I'd been wanting to shift for a while. On site gym sounds cool, we don't even have showers where I am now! Do the occasional parkrun, kids tennis lessons generally get in the way the past year, was football before that. They do the junior parkrun though on first Sunday of each month, they love that.

You still in Ealing? I was up there for the half mara in Sep last year. Great race.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I'm thinking of ditching my trusty Garmin 305 and getting a a wahoo bluetooth chest strap and synci...