VVLM 2021 - the Virtual London Marathon

13 watchers
Mar 2021
11:47am, 8 Mar 2021
16,552 posts
  •  
jennywren
I did loops and went back to my house periodically for refreshments and loo stops. I had a really lovely time and I've signed up again. I won't faff as much at home this time but I might well adopt the same approach.
Mar 2021
1:16pm, 8 Mar 2021
15,291 posts
  •  
Garfield
That sounds nice AndyS though a little far for me to travel.
Mar 2021
1:25pm, 8 Mar 2021
20,701 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I wonder if I could do four different loops from home - the answer isn't really yes, as I'd have no interest in it. Maybe park the car somewhere and do four different loops somewhere nice, and level?
Mar 2021
1:43pm, 8 Mar 2021
16,554 posts
  •  
jennywren
They were different loops, not the same one. I went along the Mersey and the Bridgwater Canal in different directions.
Mar 2021
1:53pm, 8 Mar 2021
1,892 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
FWIW here are a few of my notes from 2020:

I was sceptical last year but much to my surprise I really enjoyed it. There were obviously lots of runners doing it and many (including myself) had the pleasure of pals running with them for sections on the day. The positive atmosphere was palpable and the whole day had a great vibe despite shocking weather. I set myself a route with three loops which allowed a couple of generous friends to provide my own personal aid station. Setting your own route and start time meant a lack of logistical stress and made it the ‘easiest’ 26.2 that I’ve ever done in many respects.

Some folk apparently had problems with the app, but everyone that I know found it easy to use; most used their own watches as backup and any glitches seemed to be swiftly and satisfactorily resolved. Obviously familiarising oneself with the instructions for the app in the days beforehand is time well spent.

Have a great day folks.
Mar 2021
2:10pm, 8 Mar 2021
6,402 posts
  •  
minardi
I really enjoyed doing mine last year - I treated it as a training run and got my husband to meet me 26.2 miles away. I wore my number and had lots of nice things shouted at me even though I was mainly in the middle of nowhere.

I decided not to do it this year as someone's got to be at fetchpoint for those doing the actual VMLM ;-)
Mar 2021
3:49pm, 8 Mar 2021
15,292 posts
  •  
Garfield
SS that sounds good and thanks for the warning about the app. :) I have a few flattish routes that can serve as loops from home.
Mar 2021
4:52pm, 8 Mar 2021
48,837 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Chris the section of SDW between Petersfield and Winchester is very lovely and scenic but has pretty much no facilities en route (except maybe, pubs at Exton/Corhampton - though I wouldn't count on them being there come October)
Mar 2021
4:53pm, 8 Mar 2021
20,704 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I'm sure it would be 100% self-supported, McG, but I think there was a churchyard with a tap dispensing drinking water when I walked it!
Mar 2021
4:58pm, 8 Mar 2021
7,681 posts
  •  
sallykate
I signed up for this but am not sure it'll be possible now as I'm a bit crocked. And I usually volunteer at red start, which knackers me out for the rest of the day.

But if I'm less crocked and decide not to volunteer I was thinking of doing it in about four loops from home of 6-7 miles each. Two of those are regular runs already. I could easily come up with another two, or just repeat those. Thinking to run at 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm. A bit like Endure24 but less muddy.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
Discuss routes, tactics, absence of water stations, absence of Fetchpoint, absence of trains on Sund...