Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

VMLM Club Place - Training Plan

1 watcher
Dec 2016
8:02pm, 22 Dec 2016
104 posts
wrxmania
Managed to get my clubs place at VMLM 2017 - my first marathon.

I have run at least a dozen half marathons, nearly 150 park runs etc so not an inexperienced runner.

I have various books - Pfizinger & Douglas, Chi Marathon, 80/20 running, The Non-Marathon Runner's Marathon Trainer etc plus several plans which look reasonably good, including RW Intermediate Plan, Martin Yellings Intermediate plan (which looks the best) etc.

I am looking to adapt a plan to include 4 runs per week (including parkrun each week as either an easy run, harder tempo type run) but also probably a spin class each week - and try to slot in 2/3 strength & stretching workouts at home/gym a week.

Reading this is sounds ambitious as I work 45+ hours a week as a manager in a secondary school, and also I am a professional gigging musician at nights/weekends (around 60+ shows a year). I am also married with a 4 year old!

Anyone got any advice - training plan building related, VMLM specific or a first marathon for a non-beginner runner?

My additional thoughts/ideas are:

Alongside regular stretching and foam rolling/strength work I will get a massage at least every 2 weeks in the second half of the build up. I will also have less mileage weeks as I tend to pick up annoying niggles and I am not a high mileage runner (highest ever week was 30 miles).

Should I get a specific coach/plan written for me - or just use my own knowledge to build a plan I can adapt myself, whilst sticking to basic principles (mainly easy runs, long run on a sunday, one harder effort in the week, hills will be all over the place as I live near hills!)?

Any advice appreciated.

Brian.
Dec 2016
4:31pm, 23 Dec 2016
105 posts
wrxmania
Anyone have any advice?
Dec 2016
5:18pm, 23 Dec 2016
1083 posts
Silvershadow
Hi and well done winning your club place. You don't say what sort of time you are aiming for. I won a club place too on Wednesday night and have worked out that Iwe have 17 weeks starting on Boxing Day. I'm going for the Hal Higdon novice plan (free on internet) which I've used before but juggled the runs round real life.
Dec 2016
10:58am, 28 Dec 2016
106 posts
wrxmania
My Half Marathon PB is 1:50, and being conservative I'd like a 4:15 time I think, but will settle for 4:30 or less as it's my first. Eventually I'd like to run sub-4 hours I think that, f I can keep injury free and consistent etc, should be do-able :)

Going to base my training around a 4 day a week running, with some cross training, and using the Martin Yelling Intermediate VMLM plan I think.

Brian.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by wrxmania
Managed to get my clubs place at VMLM 2017 - my first marathon.

I have run at least a dozen half ...