VLM Training plan - My first stab! Advice appreciated

1 watcher
Jan 2016
1:34pm, 5 Jan 2016
40 posts
  •  
cityBen1983
Could any experienced marathon runners have a quick look at my plan and see if looks any good?

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=398

I'm a club runner and my half PB is 1:30 although I'd say I'm currently in between 1:35 and 1:40. I'm hoping to do to the VLM in 3:30 although this distance is new to me! This is my first marathon so looking for some advice.

I currently run 3 times per week due to work and family commitments. I hope to squeeze a 4th in in every few weeks as a recovery run or something.

What do people think? Any good? Too little or too much?
Jan 2016
2:10pm, 5 Jan 2016
16,845 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Looks good to me, with my relative inexperience of three marathons :-) If it were me though, I might be tempted to have the occasional cutback in the long run schedule. Races aside, they seem to go up and up until you get to the taper.
Jan 2016
2:15pm, 5 Jan 2016
406 posts
  •  
Dave D
Id agree with Fetch on the cutbacks, from your half time Im certain your capable of 3:30 but London will be crowded and I would make goal 1 (for your first marathon) to be to finish and enjoy it.
Goal 2 is to get your 3:30.
Im sure some experienced marathon runners will pop along soon with some top tips
Jan 2016
2:15pm, 5 Jan 2016
41 posts
  •  
cityBen1983
Cheers Fetch. Yeah good point, will see if I can add a couple of steps back in there
Jan 2016
5:54pm, 5 Jan 2016
556 posts
  •  
jdarun
IMO the easiest way to improve that schedule would be to do more running, or at least more exercise of some sort. 3 days a week is very minimal, though I can see you are planning on running decent distances.
Jan 2016
6:05pm, 5 Jan 2016
200 posts
  •  
Daz Love
Ben - I am far from an expert, in fact I was asking for advice on my plan only a couple of days ago!

I done my first marathon last year and done it mainly on 3 sessions per week. I did have some weeks with 4. I can only say that I am certain more mileage would have helped! I done a 20 Mile training run at pretty much my goal pace around 5-6 weeks out (some would say my goal was too soft!!)

I agree with scaling down the mileage maybe 1 week in 4.

Also if you can throw in some extra 4 or 5 milers at easy pace Im sure it will help.

As said I'm a novice myself with the grand total of one to my name but as you are looking to do similar to what I done last year training wise thought I would chip in!
Jan 2016
8:43pm, 6 Jan 2016
1,664 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil ( OBE )
Ben

hi mate, i'm talking as an old hand,

what's the furthest distance you've been is it the 13 ???

I think your doing ok, just train as and when u can, keeping those cogs oiled, ( or ) if you like keeping the body and mind going and not getting seized up

fluids, food and sleep and massively important - time is only a bonus, as anything, and I mean ANYTHING can happen in a marathon - especially once into unknown territory -

even the most experienced of us have bad days and bad runs, trust me on that - and sometimes , no matter how much you look for the or a reason you might not find one

test out anything and everything for as while - then about 21 days to race day - stick to what you know,

make sure everything is comphy, trainer and socks comphy , Vaseline for any chaffing points etc

Daz is right - a 20 milers a few weeks before would help, it will give you and idea of things to come
Jan 2016
9:00pm, 6 Jan 2016
42 posts
  •  
cityBen1983
Thanks all for your advice and suggestions 😀
Jan 2016
9:03pm, 6 Jan 2016
43 posts
  •  
cityBen1983
I think I'm definitely going to see if I can squeeze the odd easy 4/5 miler in every third week if possible and totally agree about it being an unknown Mick!

I'm hoping the 20 mile race I'm doing should give a good indication of where I'm up to at that point.
Jan 2016
9:08pm, 6 Jan 2016
1,667 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil ( OBE )
If your with a club as I think you say

talking to them face to face is good, as theirs bound to be highly experienced runners there that can talk you though everything

marathons are a strange thing ben - they can make you or break you -

a 20 miler will yes give you an indicator of how you will feel - and what its all about -

my advice would be 7 -10 days prior to big day, rest and just do every other day little mileage to tick over - to stop ceasing up - you want to get to London fresh , sharp but relaxed

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by cityBen1983
Could any experienced marathon runners have a quick look at my plan and see if looks any good?

ht...