VLM Fetchpoint 2014 – Team 6

23 watchers
Apr 2014
9:18am, 14 Apr 2014
2,487 posts
  •  
minardi.
So sorry we missed you Redhead :-( but well done on another record :-)
Don't beat yourself up Carp, you did brilliantly because you didn't give up. Best laid plans of mice and men etc.....
Rob W - you're not the first to miss us! You were obviously in the zone!
Apr 2014
9:25am, 14 Apr 2014
58 posts
  •  
Rob W
...I'm not sure which zone that was though!
Apr 2014
10:11am, 14 Apr 2014
58 posts
  •  
Daddy Kong
Hi everyone - thanks so much for the cheers at the Fetchpoint I really needed it both ways. I was already feeling less comfortable than I should've at half way so was looking out for the red and yellow.

Finished in 4:08:42 which was a bit slower than I hoped but much better than I feared. Ankle held together ok but I think the lack of consistency in my training recently meant I was not in 8:20/mile shape after all! After a couple of flickers of cramp in my stomach and calves I decided to adopt a run/walk strategy, otherwise I could see it getting ugly. I'm not unhappy with the time cos I know that's everything I had on the day, but I bet the splits will be horrible - next time I'll try and make a better estimation of the shape I'm in. If I'd set out to run an even paced 4:08 then I bet that would have been a whole lot less painful.

The crowd support was amazing and certainly lived up to all the hype - it was almost worth the walk breaks for the extra encouragement it attracted. Although I wish I'd had a sign that said 'I'm not giving up - this is a run/walk strategy'.

Thanks again Team 6 - you brought my smile out again at mile 22-ish!
Apr 2014
10:24am, 14 Apr 2014
1,020 posts
  •  
teddy-o
Just to say a big thanks to all the people at Fetchpoint - you were a massive boost and always the best part of the LM course.

I didn't hit my 3:25 target today, I felt very sick at about 15/16 miles and had to slow down so that I wouldn't end up actually being sick. Anyway, it was a fun day barring the obvious. So sorry to hear about the chap who has passed away after he got over the line. A real shame :(
J*C
Apr 2014
11:25am, 14 Apr 2014
923 posts
  •  
J*C
Who was it who gave me words of encouragement?
Apr 2014
11:30am, 14 Apr 2014
1,746 posts
  •  
Mykey
Me I think but I spoke to so many and so did everyone else. You certainly weren't the first or last that needed a boost.
J*C
Apr 2014
11:34am, 14 Apr 2014
924 posts
  •  
J*C
Thanks My IT band was tight, you offered me crisps mad urged me on, if I could have cried I would have. Thank you😄
Apr 2014
11:43am, 14 Apr 2014
2,786 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I remember almost bursting into tears all over minardi (I think) and telling them not to be nice to me or I'd collapse in a blubbering heap. So they told me to man up and fecking get on with it (or similar). Made me smile, I needed that.

Also there was something confusing about melty chocolate, so I'm not sure if they knew who I was as I don't remember asking about chocolate!
Apr 2014
11:46am, 14 Apr 2014
2,490 posts
  •  
minardi.

Sorry Carp - I got confused for who had wanted the chocolate (J*C, I think now!) but it was pure liquid for whoever wanted it anyway!
Apr 2014
11:53am, 14 Apr 2014
2,789 posts
  •  
Carpathius
At that point I had no idea what I'd asked for - or what I wanted!

About This Thread

Maintained by kwala
I've updated the article with some possibly useful info for runners http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=514

Supporters
minardi. Captain
Mykey
Kato
rosie-b
Moley73

Runners
Carpathius
Daddy Kong
eastendrunner
J*C
KingKenny72