VLM club places

1 watcher
Mar 2017
3:15pm, 26 Mar 2017
4 posts
  •  
postie_mark
With this years London Marathon just 4 weeks away. Does anyone think that the number of places allocated to affiliated clubs is fair. My running receives just 1 place and we have another runner that has a GFA we will be represented by just 2 runners which in my opinion is pitiful. I think that clubs should be allocated more places and the VLM should increase the entry limit to 40000 so they can keep charities happy. Running clubs deserve more places as they support road running either running in races or volunteering 52 weeks of the year charities don't. I also think the VLM should positively encourage those charity runners to join a running club on completion of the VLM.
Mar 2017
3:57pm, 26 Mar 2017
5,996 posts
  •  
The_Saint
When I joined a running club, one comment that surprised me was "London is basically a fun run", 10 years later I understand this point of view, it is very easy due to the BBC coverage and the razzmatazz to get the idea that it is majorly important.
Mar 2017
12:31pm, 27 Mar 2017
28,370 posts
  •  
Old Croc
I agree the numbers have been cut a bit - but then again VLM don't have to give any places - just they have done over the years - what other events do similar? GNR don't as far as I am aware.
Mar 2017
9:09am, 28 Mar 2017
5 posts
  •  
postie_mark
If the VLM turned round one year and decided to remove all club places is become a charity race with an elite field imagine the outcry from running clubs if that were to happen. Running clubs would say "stuff you" to the London Marathon and start supporting other marathons such as Manchester, Edinburgh etc. The last thing the London Marathon want is another UK marathon to cone and rival it. Without running clubs road running in the UK would not exist as a lot of road races are organised by the clubs. So is the VLM decide to reduce club places further or get rid of them altogether then should bring it on.
Nov 2017
10:25am, 25 Nov 2017
29 posts
  •  
wardi
Our club have about 120 members and the VLM portal regarding club places was unchanged from last year - until very recently! We assumed with the info that was online that we would receive 2 places as per last time and duly held a ballot at our club dinner a couple of weeks ago. Enter two delighted ladies who have never run it before.

However it seems that VLM have changed the rules at the 11th hour.. it now states that a club needs 150 members to get two places - our application arrived this week with only the one place in it. I know it is their race and they can do what they like, but leaving it so late does seem very unfair. We now have to scratch our heads on how to sort out the two girls who though they were 'in'.

Anyone else been caught out like this?
Nov 2017
11:21am, 25 Nov 2017
169 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Unless yer really decent and get a good for age, the VLM isn't a race for runners, it's a charity fundraiser.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by postie_mark
With this years London Marathon just 4 weeks away. Does anyone think that the number of places allo...