VLM 2018 GFA

12 watchers
Jan 2018
4:43pm, 13 Jan 2018
735 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Thanks paul, Baz. I'm glad that I haven't got this as an all-in PB attempt and I hope to use any enforced hold-ups to ensure that I don't make an "erse" (nice term Baz, 3.15 thread) of the early pacing.

The expo malarkey is a pain and something I'm just having to suck up. As is the travel and accomm nonsense.
I am expecting this to be a one-time event for me but I am struck by the number of experienced marathon runners that have done multiples. That speaks volumes to me that all of the negative things that I already know about London (lived and worked there early in the last century when it was a small town) must be balanced and even outweighed by some major positives.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the good and bad for myself.
Jan 2018
5:23pm, 13 Jan 2018
538 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I had four years from the green start, pen 2 so just behind the celebs and never had any issues, past most of them within a mile and PBd every year.

Steve - I hate crowded races and was only running London as I'd got my GFA and wanted to raise some money for two charities that had helped my friend die at home but I enjoyed the experience so much that I've run it five times in a row.
Jan 2018
1:01pm, 24 Jan 2018
2 posts
  •  
rodeoflip
Steve, if you haven't been to the Expo before, you might find you enjoy it - it's the biggest gathering of running shops I've even seen, selling a huge range of stuff. Might not be the cheapest or best place to buy running gear, but it's interesting to have a look around. Just be careful not to go there the day before the race and spend the day on your feet wearing them out (I'm speaking from experience!).

And London might not be everyone's idea of a great race, but most people I know who've done it want to go back and do it again. Including me - this will be my 6th year in a row.
Jan 2018
7:28pm, 24 Jan 2018
740 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hi Rodeo and welcome to Fetch - guessing you've had that already?!

Thanks for the insight. I'm thoroughly looking forward to it all. I can't avoid the expo visit being the day before and I'm conscious of the dangers but it is what it is.

I do my best but I don't take it too seriously so I will be happy to be there, soaking up being part of a truly massive event. The fact that you're doing #6 speaks volumes.

If you are from Troon I've sailed in your part of the world and love it there.

Thanks again👍
Jan 2018
10:53am, 25 Jan 2018
3 posts
  •  
rodeoflip
Thank you Steve. Been on the RW forum for ages but changes made to their website means their forums aren't the same as they were, so thought I'd come over here. The London marathon has its faults, chiefly that it's so busy, but it's also very popular for a reason. I ran it last year 6 days after Boston, when blisters on my feet meant that blood was literally flying off my shoes and DOMS was killing me, but couldn't bear the thought of not running at London. Six years ago it was my first marathon, and when I decide I can't or won't run marathons any more, it will also be my last one. I hope your experience of London is as positive as mine have been.
Jan 2018
5:51pm, 25 Jan 2018
743 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Rodeo - totally get the sentiments after the first/last one haha. Come on London, let’s see what you’ve got!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
The GFA entry channel is now open, closes 23 June.

I'm excited!