VLM 2016 Ballot

29 watchers
Apr 2015
4:48pm, 27 Apr 2015
2,424 posts
  •  
postieboy
I see that the ballot will be open from May 4 to 8 but does not specify whether there will be a cap on the number of applications. Does anyone know anything specific regarding this?
Apr 2015
4:52pm, 27 Apr 2015
1,875 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark
I read somewhere yesterday that there was no cap on numbers entering the ballot.

Ir's a full 5 days, then closes.
Apr 2015
4:54pm, 27 Apr 2015
428 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
I'll be entering the ballot this year. Hopefully will get a entry in this time at least. Probably a lot less chance of getting a place mind you if it's open for five days!
Apr 2015
5:14pm, 27 Apr 2015
843 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'll be entering again although I've yet to get a ballot place yet. All previous VLM have been through a charity or on the old 'five rejections and you're in' rule.

Previously, the ballot opened for 120,000 applications which usually only took a couple of hours to fill. In which case, the ballot will be closed by lunchtime next Monday.

If the five days and no limit to entries is now in place, it will also mean that the odds of getting a ballot place will be smaller than ever.
Apr 2015
6:07pm, 27 Apr 2015
2,268 posts
  •  
Old Man
I interpreted the piece saying it would be open for five days as meaning there would be no upper limit as they had received complaints from people who had been unable to enter on the opening day for a host of reasons and therefore missed out when it reached the cap, therefore they believe this way is fairer
Apr 2015
6:17pm, 27 Apr 2015
747 posts
  •  
Nelski
Yes - that's how I read it too. Both in terms of the pragmatic reasons for leaving it open longer, and in the ever more diminished chance of getting a ballot place.
I always say I won't bother this time, I'm tired of failing to get a place, but...
Then again, I might run Rome again - it's in the school holidays, and it's rained the last two times, so odds are the Eternal City will be glorious ' neath blue skies.
Ah - to dream of future pastimes.
Apr 2015
7:11pm, 27 Apr 2015
2,425 posts
  •  
postieboy
I'll be very interested to find out how many people do enter the ballot, that would put a proper mark on it's popularity.

Is there any race in the world which has more demand than London? I doubt it.
Apr 2015
7:22pm, 27 Apr 2015
400 posts
  •  
Roberto
Well thats great news. My 9th year applying, with an even smaller chance than normal.
Apr 2015
8:50pm, 27 Apr 2015
4,498 posts
  •  
Bez-head
Will stick my hat in the ring so will see. Tried for years on ballot and NOWT, club place this year and totally enjoyed yesterday. :-)
Apr 2015
9:27pm, 27 Apr 2015
844 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'm already in for Brighton next year, so it won't bother me if I miss out on doubling-up. Although I have promised that the next time I do the Brighton-London double, it will be for charity and in fancy dress.

Glad that you have the Rome option, Nelski. There are so many good Spring marathons out there that I'm not too concerned about getting a rejection magazine in October. Just because it's not a major like London, doesn't make smaller races as good. In fact, most of them are a lot friendlier and more fun than London!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I see that the ballot will be open from May 4 to 8 but does not specify whether there will be a cap ...