Vitamin D

2 watchers
Mar 2017
10:53am, 9 Mar 2017
9,180 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Hello :)

I've been having some tests for a separate issue recently, but in the mix came back some low Vit D levels. They said that

50+ normal but 100ish preferable
25-50 insufficient
Less than 25- deficient.

Mine is 17.

I spend a lot of time outside so not really sure why, and I think this is more of a sunlight vitamin than diet one. But has anyone else been deficient and know why? Doctor said she just wouldn't have expected it to be so low, and just gave me a liquid type supplement thingy which I assume fixes the problem. But I don't really want to get back in this situation, does anyone know what's good to eat with it in?! I get severe SAD so wonder if there's a link? Anyway, it's getting sunnier now so hopefully lots of Vit D to be found :)

Not sure what if any, effects there are of low Vit D other than bone problems, and I have none of those, so who knows if it'll even make a difference but will find out soon!
Mar 2017
11:57am, 9 Mar 2017
1,656 posts
  •  
westmoors
Vit D regulates calcium and phosphate. It is primarily concerned with bone health. Dietary sources include oily fish (salmon, sardines etc), red meat, liver and egg yolks. Then there are foods that have been fortified with vit D such as cereals and spreads.
Mar 2017
12:02pm, 9 Mar 2017
35,750 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The main dietary sources of vitamin D are the things lots of people avoid on health grounds ;) And fortified foodstuffs, as westmoors says.

A week or two riding your bike somewhere warm and sunny next winter should sort you out.
Mar 2017
12:12pm, 9 Mar 2017
9,181 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
I don't do any fad or avoiding diets, BUT I don't eat fish, meat, and I don't eat much dairy. I hate milk and it hates me, I have it in coffee but for cereal/porridge/smoothies I have nut milks. And I eat nut/soya yoghurts as cow ones hate me too.

So I need to eat egg yolks and go on holiday, that's the answer?! I have 2.5 weeks in errrrrrrr Ireland next month!!!
Mar 2017
12:19pm, 9 Mar 2017
707 posts
  •  
Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Sunlight intensity & skin coverage plays a large part. Half an hour at midday in a swimsuit on a hot sunny July day may well sort your needs out for a while. All day outside in January with full winter clothing won't do much.
Mar 2017
12:22pm, 9 Mar 2017
9,182 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Good point. I often spend all day outside with just my eyes showing.
Mar 2017
12:29pm, 9 Mar 2017
4,126 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
Also, wearing sunscreen means you don't absorb it readily, which is why we supplement our kids to stop them getting rickets....
Mar 2017
1:04pm, 9 Mar 2017
714 posts
  •  
Flatlander
There were several pages of discussion about Vitamin D on this thread http://www.fetcheveryone.com/forum__3715__2057__over_50s_club

Whilst Vitamin D primarily regulates calcium levels, it is involved in a lot of other bodily processes - this article provides a very good summary telegraph.co.uk
Mar 2017
1:27pm, 9 Mar 2017
4,043 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Naked sunbathing :-D
Mar 2017
2:41pm, 9 Mar 2017
9,183 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
I just went for 4 miles of Vitamin D in my lunch break down the river :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gymfreak
Hello :)

I've been having some tests for a separate issue recently, but in the mix came back som...