Virtual Challenges

17 watchers
Jul 2020
11:35am, 15 Jul 2020
17,981 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Yesterday I did my virtual solstice 8K run ... it wasn't great but hey I did it.

What I have found motivating is the Garmin virtual challenges and I have seen several people mention other virtual challenges that get proper medals!

So hit me with the best place to look for virtual challenges (not a 1 off race) please :-)
Jul 2020
12:17pm, 15 Jul 2020
4,203 posts
  •  
westmoors
Running Heroes (https://uk.runningheroes.com/). Not only do they set challenges for you to complete which enter you into prize draws, you also earn credits that can be exchanged for discount codes. Free to register, just need to link your device.
Jul 2020
12:21pm, 15 Jul 2020
4,204 posts
  •  
westmoors
They also have a sister site for cyclists uk.cyclingheroes.com
Jul 2020
12:27pm, 15 Jul 2020
35,061 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Assuming you mean long term challenges here? They are great fun, especially if you can find a few other Fetchies to run with virtually.

One thing to be aware of is that all the different race platforms have their own idiosyncrasies. Some need to be linked to your Garmin Connect or strava account to collect your miles, some work on an "honour" system where you upload your distance yourself each day. It can be a bit of a pfaff getting used to whatever method your organiser uses, but they generally become second nature after a few days.

I'm in the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee (4 months, 635 miles) and the Virtual SWCP (7 months, 636 miles), but both are already too far through for you to be able to start now.

There are WCP and LEJOG events which go for, I think, eight months or a year and which started quite recently, so you could still go to the start line on either of those and there are Fetchies in both. Look for endtoend which is the organiser. There is also a forum thread here on those.

There are also challenges you can do as an individual rather than as part of a group (i.e. not at the same time as other entrants) such as running the length of Hadrians Wall. You can still get a medal, but there wouldn't be the same camaraderie.

Let us know which one you choose!
Jul 2020
12:28pm, 15 Jul 2020
35,062 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Oh, I forgot the link for Hadrians Wall and others - look at My Virtual Mission.
Jul 2020
12:39pm, 15 Jul 2020
60 posts
  •  
AndyS
theconqueror.events do some nice ones - including this one for covering the length of Hadrian's Wall (90 miles)
Jul 2020
12:42pm, 15 Jul 2020
17,983 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Oh oh shiny!
Jul 2020
12:43pm, 15 Jul 2020
35,064 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Nice medal, AndyS!

In this case, Conqueror is the organiser and they use MyVirtual Mission as the race platform.

You may have to go through a two-stage sign up process on some of these, ie put in an entry and pay a fee to the race organiser (here, Conqueror) and then, separately, open an account on the race platform (here, My Virtual Mission).
Jul 2020
12:59pm, 15 Jul 2020
17,984 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Most informative synge
Jul 2020
3:47pm, 16 Jul 2020
3,856 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ 🇬🇧
Ace races is one company I have used this year in Lockdown

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Yesterday I did my virtual solstice 8K run ... it wasn't great but hey I did it.

What I have...