Very sore foot, what should I do?

1 watcher
May 2012
11:15pm, 7 May 2012
1,131 posts
  •  
Just Matt
I raced a 10k yesterday, then went home and went out for a 15 mile bike ride with a friend and bricked 1.5 miles.

I got back in yesterday and had a sore foot. This morning it was quite sore indeed and it has stayed the same all day. Its painfu; when I walk, as I roll through there's a sharp pain, I find myself rolling out and dropping my knee - altering the stride to take the pressure off, but then sometimes it feels ok. There's slight tenderness in the outside of my ankle too.

I' not sure what I did, but I have a feeling I may have stood on a stone during the run, but also struck off on a mental for the line sprint as I spied someone trying to take me on the line. I think there may have been a twinge then.

I'm concerned as I have the first tri of my season coming up on Sunday, I feel liek everything is coming together and I don't want to take time out / be broken right now. I don't want the risk of missing the first tri, but likewise I don't want to lose an entire season :-(

Should I rest it for a few days, and hope it comes good or head off to A&E? I cant pop to Docs as home is 200 miles away!

Advice gratefully received

Pain is centralised in the red circle. Fine when I'm sitting etc but not when rolling through walking.

May 2012
11:16pm, 7 May 2012
2,802 posts
  •  
Sombrero
A+E every time. Just to be sure. Hope it gets better soon.
May 2012
4:34pm, 8 May 2012
1,132 posts
  •  
Just Matt
It feels lot better now. I guess it's still a trip to A&E? I just don't want bad news
May 2012
4:47pm, 8 May 2012
8,744 posts
  •  
Pootle
I wouldn't bother with A&E, even if it is a stress fracture there is nothing they can do for you. They'll just tell you to rest (*for about 6 weeks).

Incidently, I had a similar pain in my foot after the MK Marathon. I went out on it twice after the marathon and the pain got worse each time so I've rested it for a wekk and spent a lot of time wandering around with a hot water bottle strapped to my foot with a bandage.

Seems to have done the trick. It's been a week since my last run and I've just gone 3 tenutive miles pain free.
May 2012
5:45pm, 8 May 2012
1,133 posts
  •  
Just Matt
Seems about what they said. I had nothing better to do so went to A&E. Got moved across to minor injuries. Nurse had a feel, said its not a break so muscular, just steady with training. Think I'll cross train, swim and bike this week and see how the tri goes on Sunday.
May 2012
1:09pm, 9 May 2012
600 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Sit with a warm wheat bag on at night before you go to bed. It should give some comfort
May 2012
3:20pm, 9 May 2012
147 posts
  •  
Stripes
I had pain in roughly the same place a little while ago. I didn't remember doing anything to it in particular but when I was walking to work one morning after a run I noticed it was painful. I never discovered what caused it but the good news is that it disappeared within a day or two and didn't come back.
May 2012
7:21am, 24 May 2012
1,163 posts
  •  
Just Matt
Tri went fine until the morning when my foot really hurt but it had moved and added pain around the back of my outside ankle joint.

Went for Physio a second time and had ultra sound and mobilisation and interferential.

No better. All I've done is a few bike rides. Did 28 on Tuesday night. Now it's all sore.

It feels like I can't remember how to walk right now either. I'm getting annoyed. I'm still having to walk on it do surely I can train on it. Might try the bike again tonight. Or a swim.

I may try another Physio, or the sports massage place I use has just taken on a football osteo - would they be better?
May 2012
7:29am, 24 May 2012
9,794 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Sounds like you need to rest until you are pain free.
May 2012
8:32pm, 24 May 2012
508 posts
  •  
NRGEE
I had pain similar to where your picture indicates. It was a metatarsal stress fracture. One GOOD thing about you is I don't think yours is(and I'm no medic)- ultrasound on my stress fracture was VERY painful and had to be stopped. Hopefully yours is a muscle/tendon strain?? Like Ultracat says......."rest until you are pain free"

About This Thread

Maintained by Stoatally
I raced a 10k yesterday, then went home and went out for a 15 mile bike ride with a friend and brick...