Vegetarians and Vegans... What's for Christmas dinner?

8 watchers
Dec 2018
10:02am, 27 Dec 2018
7,794 posts
  •  
becca7
We had stuffed butternut squash plus a vegan version of pigs in blankets, all made from scratch. Plus lots of other veg and Christmas pud. Vegan cheeses and crackers in the evening. All yummy.
Dec 2018
10:22am, 27 Dec 2018
27,645 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
becca7, I want to start move away from dairy products, do you have any vegan cheeses you could recommend please?
Dec 2018
10:23am, 27 Dec 2018
10,046 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
We had nut roast, first time we've ever had no meat eaters at the Christmas dinner table.
Dec 2018
10:26am, 27 Dec 2018
27,646 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I made a vegan nut and lentil roast for Christmas, first time, it tasted good but fell apart.
Dec 2018
10:50am, 27 Dec 2018
7,795 posts
  •  
becca7
Cheeses tend to divide opinion, Mrs J. The soft cheeses are the best place to start as they tend to taste quite similar to their cow milk equivalents. Hard cheeses that are a good place to start are the supermarket own brand ones with chilli or with cranberry. I think these are Tesco. There are plain versions too and Violife do quite popular versions of different types e.g. Parmesan (branded as Prosociano or some similar name). A tofu product called Feto is a good feta replacement. Lettices is a good brand that attends vegan fairs. There are good artisan cheeses by e.g. Tyne Chease or Nutcrafter Creamery for an expensive treat. I think the main thing is to not look for an exact replacement but to enjoy these products in their own right, though, as none are exact replicas.
Dec 2018
11:03am, 27 Dec 2018
27,647 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Thank you becca, it’s handy to have some tips to help with transition, I have heard a lot of negative comments about vegan cheeses, I am not particularly looking for type replacements as such, very grateful for your advice :-)
Dec 2018
4:34pm, 27 Dec 2018
25,702 posts
  •  
LindsD
Me too.

Any advice for an easy vegan pudding to take to a get-together? Ingredients need to be stocked in a mid-size supermarket.
Dec 2018
12:20pm, 28 Dec 2018
17,017 posts
  •  
Dvorak
My pie was nice and I even had some leftovers. However, I burnt my thumb trying to wrestle it from its tray (it had very firm pastry.) Leftover Christmas pudding at breakfast today, which was a bit rich.

For tonight I have a mushroom and cranberry roast which was quarter price in Morrisons (also picked some very cheap veg, some of which is now broccoli soup).
Dec 2018
1:38pm, 28 Dec 2018
9,869 posts
  •  
Garfield
Thanks for the reminder Dvorak, I need to make broccoli soup too!!
Dec 2019
6:37pm, 27 Dec 2019
18,593 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Butternut squash etc wellington (from Lidl). I also made veggies, not very well. Main dish a bit underdone. Leftovers were better on Boxing Day (pastry fully cooked, served with gravy).

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Our Christmas Day menu is

Starter
Brussels sprouts, apple & cheddar salad

Main
Christmas ve...