Vegetarian Runners - Any tips?

32 watchers
Feb 2018
1:08pm, 9 Feb 2018
585 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Happy - I often marinate quorn pieces in whatever sauce I'm going to use, they pick up even more flavour then.

Coconut water contains some electrolytes (sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium) and carbs, pineapple juice is anti-inflammatory.
JCB
Oct 2018
1:15am, 18 Oct 2018
68 posts
  •  
JCB
For long runs, I've found that dates provide good energy (3 or so every time), and for some savoury I like salted mixed nuts. I tend to alternate so that after half an hour I'll have the dates, the next half hour the mixed nuts.
Oct 2018
8:26am, 18 Oct 2018
29,388 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My diet is very poor. I probably get my 5 fresh fruit and veg a day, but only just! And dinner is mostly a pizza or pasta or a ready meal. I have been getting some ulcers, and have a metallic taste in my mouth and I've got a permanently sniffy nose and wheezy cough. Is there any chance my poor diet (veggie, not vegan) is contributing?

I've tried vitamin supplements (iron, B12, some minerals magnesium and calcium I think and a mixed Vit C and others - I actually can't remember what they all were!) for a couple months but have given up as it really didn't seem to make any difference. Thanks Fetchies. :-) G
JCB
Oct 2018
9:43am, 18 Oct 2018
73 posts
  •  
JCB
HappyG, I'd check with a doctor and possibly get some blood tests done. At the very least you'd have a baseline for comparison for later.
Oct 2018
9:46am, 18 Oct 2018
29,391 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks JCB - I've asked about the cough before. When they said how long has it been going on and I said about 2 years they did think that was probably not good! But I got some tests done then (a year ago) and he said it wasn't anything and just allergies, runny nose causing the cough. Could be, but what can I do to alleviate it. I took anti histamine for years, then stopped and I find I have low level allergy symptoms whether I take them or not! I don't like to bother the docs for what seems trivial, but I'll pop along some time I guess. Thanks. :-) G
Oct 2018
11:14am, 18 Oct 2018
13,389 posts
  •  
Chrisull
G - I wouldn't have said your diet is contributing ( I wouldn't know for sure), but as with most things it's always possible to do better. I'd say find a healthy recipe or two that takes 5 minutes to throw together that can become backstops. If you snack (as I am prone to) make the go to snacks nuts/dried fruit rather than anything sugary/refined carbs based.

Sounds more like a kind of allergen thing, or possibly just being generally run down. Have you looked at anything in the environment - pollution, damp, dust? All common aggravators. Also diet wise, I don't believe in the fads for suddenly finding someone is allergic to dairy, wheat, tomatoes, but I do know things like mild lactose intolerance are very common, so it's occasionally worth having a couple of days without dairy, seeing if you feel any better. I do feel very catarrhy with milk/yoghurt/cheese at times, I wouldn't call it allergy, but I do feel better when I drop them for 2 or 3 days. Are there big stresses in your life kind of thing? That's where I'd go to before fingering the diet. Not saying it isn't the problem I have heard of people who fail to cope without meat and doctors have advised one person I knew to reinstate it, but a veggie diet should be a healthier one.
Oct 2018
11:18am, 18 Oct 2018
17,600 posts
  •  
TRO Staying at home with the watter
JCB - re dates for long runs (or rides in my case): worth trying is medjool dates.

Slit them down one side, get the stone out, replace with peanut butter (and if hot a bit of extra salt) and reclose.
JCB
Oct 2018
2:15pm, 18 Oct 2018
75 posts
  •  
JCB
G - agree with Chris... Find some good healthy (whole food plant based) to boost your health. Even just replacing one meal a day. I keep wanting to do smoothies but forget.

Can put so many good fruits, etc. in it... and dairy is often an issue I had, making me phlegmy.
JCB
Oct 2018
2:15pm, 18 Oct 2018
76 posts
  •  
JCB
Thanks TRO. I've looked at the medjool dates but they're quite expensive here. About 3 times the price of regular pitted dates. I do like the idea of boosting them up with peanut butter (and salt). :-)
Nov 2020
8:37pm, 13 Nov 2020
21,309 posts
  •  
Dvorak
How's that cookery going, :-) G?

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
I've been paying a bit more attention to my diet recently and the thing I've realized is t...