Vegetarian Runners - Any tips?

32 watchers
Feb 2018
10:46am, 9 Feb 2018
15,434 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Gosh :-)G, you have impressed me. I was thinking of suggesting some quorn pieces, a jar of curry sauce, stir together in a dish and bake in the oven for half an hour. Serve with boil in the bag (or microwave) rice.

I think coconuts have been officially declared to have magical properties. Solid coconut oil is very much the "thing" is some dietary circles currently. Even I used some coconut milk last week to add to a curry sauce I had made to make a creamy mushroom curry.
Feb 2018
11:04am, 9 Feb 2018
12,234 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I think there's always some recipes that are easier than convenience foods, I have a pasta one (from Denis Cotter), where you boil up some spaghetti, throw some chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil and parsley for about a minute, throw the spaghetti in with some grated strong cheese and bingo it's done. There's another took a bit more (from Yottam Ottalenghi - https://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/mixed-beans-with-many-spices-and-lovage-shop) with some grean beans, broad beans,supgar snap peas, onions, chop them all up, throw in with a tin of tomatoes, half the spice cupboard and some lovage (which I growing in the herb pots but seems to have disappeared), and bang. Nigel Slater had some very quick and easy curry dishes, one with aubergine that was ace. But I love the ones where you throw everything in, cook for 10 minutes and done, and they have a twist like lovage or lemon/chickpeas/parsley combination that gives it a twist that makes it different to other dishes with very similar ingredients.
Feb 2018
11:12am, 9 Feb 2018
12,235 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Oh an coconut oil/milk has some properties interest to runners.

runnersworld.com

It has saturated fat, but in the form of medium chain fatty acids, which we metabolize differently, to other saturated fats. They are converted to energy more quickly, and that means the fat is available as fuel "immediately". I know some scientists have been looking at whether they might prove a useful running/long distance fuel (one scientist started a study by giving cream to runners before a marathon !!! Which needless to say didn't work - story of this is in Michael Hutchinson's book - Faster, the obsession, science and luck behind the worlds fastest) But the thinking was to try and make fats more readily available I assume, when glycogen was depleted. So as coconut oil does this more efficiently, it looks like a possibility. I have experimented by putting a small dollop in porridge, but it made no noticeable effect on a long run.
Feb 2018
11:14am, 9 Feb 2018
12,236 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Separately - I have read that Sky's recovery drink for their cyclists is coconut water mixed with pineapple juice. Of course coconut water doesn't have the same properties as the oil, but I wondered if there was some connection.
Feb 2018
11:25am, 9 Feb 2018
28,267 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I did use cheat rice too Dv. Uncle Ben's boil in the bag basmati (we don't have a microwave at the mo!) Even I can't stuff that up! I even fed the missus (everything is sized for two, but I had 3/4!) :-) G
Feb 2018
12:07pm, 9 Feb 2018
8,710 posts
  •  
Garfield
:) G - yay, see, it's easy to cook with Quorn! I've been using the same Green Thai curry mix too. I make bolognese sauce with the mince version and made chili for a change last weekend.

I cook rice properly when I do cook it...steamed - bring 2 cups water to 1 cup rice to boil, cover lid and turn heat down to low and let the rice absorb the water. Not like some people who boil rice like pasta (with tons of water) then drain the water off. Brown rice requires more water - I haven't cooked it in years...and I've been enjoying quinoa recently.
Feb 2018
12:07pm, 9 Feb 2018
8,711 posts
  •  
Garfield
Who needs meat any more? I do like a bit of fish still.
Feb 2018
12:44pm, 9 Feb 2018
45 posts
  •  
phidip
This is great stuff! I really need to stop eating chicken. I've been off all other meat for quite some time but still eat chicken once or twice a month.
Feb 2018
12:48pm, 9 Feb 2018
8,714 posts
  •  
Garfield
Quorn pieces are a very good substitute for 'chicken'! ;)
Feb 2018
1:00pm, 9 Feb 2018
28,268 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Quorn pieces picked up the flavour really nicely from the thai green curry paste. Thanks Garfield, you're an inspiration! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
I've been paying a bit more attention to my diet recently and the thing I've realized is t...